Canadian Stage’s Theatre Ball 2015 at Arcadian Court
Guests were treated to cocktails, dinner and a live auction followed by dancing, with the silent and live auctions raising $58,500. The intimate performance, by audacious New York theatre darling Taylor Mac and Emmy Award-winner Lance Horne, was undoubtedly a highlight of the evening. During an interactive musical piece just before dinner, Mac got up close and personal with the audience and stole a kiss from MayorJohn Tory.
Attended by close to 300 guests, the evening was hosted by Rick Miller and Carly Street stars of Canadian Stage’s hit show Venus in Fur which wrapped a third and final run last December. At the end of the evening, multi-faceted artist – and Torontonian – Maylee Todd took to the DJ booth and heated up the dance floor with a perfect mix of Motown and old-school R&B hits.
Mayor John Tory with performer Taylor Mac
Notable attendees included:
- Event co-hosts actor and comedian Rick Miller with Canadian and Broadway actress Carly Street
- Theatre Ball chair Jeronimo De Miguel
- Canadian Stage’s artistic & general director Matthew Jocelyn
- Managing director Su Hutchinson and husband Graham Mitchell
- Mayor John Tory and his wife Barbara Hackett
- Members of the Canadian Stage Board of Directors and board chair Adrian Lang
- Amanda Lang, senior business correspondent for CBC News and anchor forThe Exchange with Amanda Lang on CBC.
- Shawn Hewson and Ruth Promislow, founders of Bustle Clothing
- Helen Burstyn, board chair at Evergreen; co-founder of The Pecaut Centre for Social Impact
- Sanjay Singhal, CEO of Audiobooks.com
Details on Canadian Stage’s Theatre Ball 2015
- Venue: Black-tie gala held at the Arcadian Lofts (approx. 300 guests, 30 tables sold)
- Celebrating the vision of Canadian Stage
- Patron Tables ($10,000), tickets ($1,000)
Live Auction (featuring nine lots), Raffle Prize and Silent Auction highlights included:
- A popular live auction lot with guests – a unique experience with internationally renowned visual artist Stan Douglas (and creator of Canadian Stage’s smash hit Helen Lawrence) at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, airfare and a photographic print by Stan – sold for $14,000
- The silent auction featured fine wines, a variety of “money can’t buy experiences” and one-of-a-kind entertainment packages including a series of photographs by Paul Lampert that takes you behind-the-scenes of Canadian Stage’s 14.15 season.
- Raffle prize: an exclusive opportunity to create a one-of-a-kind custom piece of jewelry with a designer from Solitaire Jewellery valued at $6,780.
- Raffle tickets were sold for $50 each, or 3 for $100.
Dinner Menu from Oliver & Bonacini Events and Catering:
- Chicory & Kale Salad with picholine olives, orange, walnut, winter radish and sherry vinaigrette
- Mustard & Rosemary Rubbed Cornish Hen with sweet onion and sage bread pudding, roasted carrot, squash, wilted greens, and chardonnay jus
- O&B Artisan Butter Tart with walnut and orange gastrique, and Chantilly.
This year, Theatre Ball 2015 was supported by Dinner Sponsor: Intact Financial Corporation; Volunteer Sponsor: Manulife Financial; Venue Sponsor: Oliver & Bonacini; Print Sponsor: C.J. Graphics Inc.; Raffle Sponsor: Solitaire Jewellery; Airline Sponsor: Porter Airlines; and Media Sponsor: Toronto Life.
For a link to high res images of Theatre Ball 2015, please follow the link. Photos by George Pimentel Photography.
and board chair Adrian Lang