City’s Windrow Snow Clearing Program Can Provide Relief this Winter
It may be early to think of snow in the middle of summer, but it’s never too early to prepare for it. The City of Mississauga is now accepting applications for its Driveway Windrow Snow Clearing Program, so you don’t have to do all the heavy lifting this winter.
A windrow is a pile of snow left at the end of a driveway after a snow plow has cleared a road. The program is open to residents who are 65 or older, or persons with physical disabilities. Eligible residents have until 9 p.m. on November 9, 2018 to apply for the 2018-2019 season.
What else should eligible residents know about the program?
- The program runs from November 26, 2018 to March 29, 2019
- Windrow snow clearing will be completed up to 36 hours after the end of a snow storm
- A space will be cleared in the windrow (about three metres or 10 feet wide) that allows one car to get in and out of the driveway
- The program is $200 for eligible residents and free for applicants who meet financial assistance criteria
- Applications are received on a first-come, first-serve basis to a maximum of 300 participants
- Only one person, per address can apply
“This program gives eligible residents the opportunity to receive assistance with clearing space in their windrows when heavy snowfall hits this winter,” said Mickey Frost, Director, Works Operations and Maintenance. “We encourage them to apply as early as possible to secure their spot in the program.”
To apply for the program, eligible residents can print and complete an online application form at mississauga.ca/windrow or pick up a form at any community centre, the Central Library’s Recreation Customer Service Centre or the Mississauga Seniors’ Centre.
For more information, visit mississauga.ca/windrow.