Government launches 1st phase of missing, murdered women inquiry
Ottawa/Dec 8, 2015
Federal government has launched a national inquiry into missing and murdered aboriginal women.
Announcing this in Ottawa Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould said that the first phase will include consultations with affected families in the national capital region to hear their input on the design and goals of the inquiry. She said that the government will also hear from other families across the country, aboriginal community organizations and frontline workers to seek their input.
Minister of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Carolyn Bennett said the government is committed to creating the best possible design for the inquiry, and eventually finding concrete action that will stop this national tragedy. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the inquiry is a top priority of the Liberal government.
In 2014 a RCMP review found that 1,181 indigenous women had been murdered or gone missing since 1980 — 164 missing and 1,017 homicide victims.