SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES : 11TH JANUARY
1. Singer David Bowie has died at 69. Bowie was battling cancer for the last 18 months.
2. The Supreme Court of Canada will hear arguments from lawyers as to why six more months are required to implement doctor assisted death.
3. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne talked to journalists today and shared Ontario’s 2016 outlook. Information regarding a $13-billion refurbishment plan for six nuclear units including Darlington was also given.
4. A 28-year-old man has died in Ottawa shooting.
5. Ontario human rights chief has called for race-based stats for kids.
6. With no one winning the lottery, the price of US Powerball Jackpot has surged to $1.3 billion.
7. In the 2016 Golden Globe Awards, Gonzalez Inarritu was given the Best Director Award for The Revenant; The Martian won the Best Comedy, Leonardo DiCaprio named Best Actor; Best Actor in a Comedy role was won by Matt Damon; Best Actress award was given to Brie Larson for Room; Best Actress in Supporting Role was bagged by Kate Winslet for Steve Jobs and Best Supporting Actor award was given to Sylvester Stallon for Creed.
8. Spain’s princess Cristina will stand trail on tax fraud.
9. At least 516 criminal cases have been filed with German Police related to the events on New Year’s Eve in Colon. Some Pakistanis and a Syrian also came under attack.
10. Mexico will begin extradition of captured drug lord El Chapo to USA that has been a long standing demand of USA.
11. Relations between Iran and Saudi Arabia is getting better as Iran has taken steps to limit diplomatic damage that was caused due to an attack on Saudi embassy in Tehran.
12. North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has justified detonating a hydrogen bomb saying it is a measure of self defence and therefore bigger bombs will be detonated. The move has irked China and South Korea.
13. Pope Francis has urged European leaders to look into ways and means of assimilating in society incoming migrants to Europe.
14. Government of Pakistan has decided to take parliamentarians into confidence on high-level contacts between the country and Saudi Arabia following fallout in relations between Iran and KSA. A joint meeting of the Senate and the National Assembly Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs has been summoned tomorrow at the parliament House.
15. Pakistan has launched a unified stock exchange replacing stock markets in Karachi, Lahore and Islamabad as all three have now been inducted in PSX.
16. Pakistan and Iran have constituted a joint border monitoring committee to prevent drug smuggling and human trafficking among other things.
17. Pakistan has said it will defend KSA’s borders but has urged the Kingdom to resolve its issues with Iran through diplomatic means.
18. One more mobile phone has been found at Pathankot attack site. NIA is also seeking Interpol’s help in this regard. Meanwhile, Pakistan has caught some suspects related to the Pathkot incident on Indian leads.
19. Lalu Prasad’s son Tejaswi Yadav has hit back at BJP against its jungle raj II comment saying they will offer best administration in Bihar.
20. Pakistan cricket team is in New Zealand to play three T20s and three ODIs. Pakistan will head to India later for the T20 World Cup.
21. The first ODI match between India and Australia will be played in Perth and can be seen in Toronto at 10:20pm today. Yuvraj Singh and Harbhajan Singh might be seen in the series that will be played between the two sides. Channel Y will hold a half-an-hour discussion before the commencement of the match.