Midweek Headlines – Dec 15
1. A second plane with 214 Syrian refugees is reaching today at Pearson International Airport. Though the federal government planned to bring 25,000 Syrians to Canada by the end of this year but then set the target to 10,000. However, Immigration Minister John McCallum has said bringing even 10,000 refugees would be a challenge as proper security checks must be carried out before welcoming them to Canada.
2. A Crea report shows the average price of homes sold in November was $456,186, up 10.2% on a year-on-year basis.
3. Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne has announced the sale of beer at grocery stores in Ontario.
4. Interim Conservative Leader Rona Ambrose has criticized selling marijuana at LCBO adding it would be difficult to keep it out of the children’s hands. Yesterday Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne had selling marijuana at LCBO stores makes sense.
5. Police has charged a mother for killing her two-year-old child in Mississauga.
6. In wake of the recent terrorist attacks that took place in Paris, Tunisia and San Bernardino, Saudi Arabian Defence Minister Mohammed bin Salman has announced 34 Muslim countries have joined a new military alliance to fight against terrorism. Pakistan, Bangladesh Kuwait, Lebanon, Morocco, Jordan, Turkey, and UAE have joined the coalition among others. It is worth mentioning that US President Barack Obama recently said the Muslim countries must join hands to root out this menace.
7. At least 2,500 security personnel have been deployed in Peshawar on the first anniversary of the Army Public School massacre a year back.
8. During a Corps Commanders Conference Pakistan’s Army Chief has said Zarb-e-Azb will be a befitting tribute to all the APS martyrs.
9. After an alleged CBI raid on his office, Delhi chief minister Arvind Kejriwal has said he is not afraid of Prime Minister Narendra Modi. Meanwhile, BJP leadership has said Kejriwal must apologise for his comments against the PM where he said Modi is a coward.
10. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said India wishes to have good relations with Pakistan but it will depend on Pakistan’s willingness to fight against terrorism.
11. During a press conference, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi commended the role of navy in particular and Indian Armed Forced in general.
12. Punjab’s Deputy Chief Minsiter Sukhbir Singh Badal has lashed out on Congress saying it hates Punjabis.
13. During a rally in Bathinda, Punjab’s Congress leader Capt Amerinder Singh has said his party will finish drug mafia once in power and end Akali rule in the province as they have not developed the province.
14. At the IPL player drafts, Pune picked up MS Dhoni and Rajkot chose Suresh Raina.
15. West Indian batsman Chris Gayle has said he can return for Test matches in 2016. He also said youngsters should be allowed to develop their game.