Midweek Headlines – Dec 16
- Toronto police has arrested 40-year-old Rohinie Bisesar, wanted in a downtown stabbing incident.
- A 60-year-old Canadian pastor Hyeon Soo Lim has been sentenced to life imprisonment in North Korea for undermining North Korea with religious activities for 18 years.
- In the final Republican presidential debate of 2015 that took place last night, Donald Trump remained resolute on his proposal to ban Muslims from entering USA. Trump’s policy was widely criticized by Senator Ted Cruz, Senator Marco Rubio and former Florida Governor Jeb Bush. The focus of the debate remained mostly on national security.
- Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson has said US troops should be positioned along the Canadian and Mexico borders.
- Hollywood movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens is getting best reviews.
- On the occasion of the first anniversary of Peshawar’s Army Public School massacre, top civil and military brass honoured APS victims.
- Though Pakistan has commended the formation of a 34-nation military alliance of Muslim countries to fight against terrorism proposed by Saudi Arabia, the country’s foreign office is still looking at its modalities.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has once again alleged he was the main target of CBI’s raid on Delhi government secretariat not Rajendra Kumar. Meanwhile, BJP has alleged as Kejriwal wishes to stay in news, he creates such dramas.
- Indian Prime Minster offered water to AAP MP from Sangrur Bhagwant Mann who was protesting in Lok Sabha against CBI raids on Delhi government secretariat. Mann who was shouting anti-government slogans against the government could not find water on his table and so Modi offered him the glass. The two exchanged smiles but after drinking water, Mann continued to speak against the government. Some Congress members also joined the protest.
- In the National Herald case Congress president Sonia Gandhi and Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi might not seek bail.
- Supreme Court of India has banned the over 2000cc diesel cars to ply on Delhi roads till March 31.
- Isro has successfully launched six Singaporean satellites.
- The Uttar Pradesh government is perplexed after receiving the Supreme Court order to encourage people to opt for electric cremation instead of going the traditional way as it involves the age old beliefs and sentiments of people.
- The Supreme Court of India has asked the government to frame proper memorandum of procedures (MoP) for the appointment of judges.
- Google India has announced to expand its operations in the country by investing more and increase the number of campuses.
- AAP MP from Sangrur Bhagwant Mann has blamed Agriculture Minister Tota Singh for farmer suicides.
- Through rallies Akali Dal and Congress are trying to get closer to the people of Punjab.
- Dharamshala gets green signal of ICC for the India-Pakistan Cricket T20 World Cup match on March 19.