Midweek Headlines – Dec 17
1. OPP has laid criminal charges against two aides of former Ontario premier Dalton McGuinty in the gas plants computer scandal. They deleted computer hard drives related to the matter.
2. Shaw Communications Inc., one of Canada’s largest cable TV has agreed to buy Wind Mobile Corp. for $1.2 billion.
3. A woman who was stabbed on Friday night in Downtown Toronto by a 40-year-old female has died. The accused was charged with attempted murder but these charges can be upgraded in wake of this new development. Police has informed the victim did not know her alleged attacker.
4. A Brampton man has been arrested and charged with criminal negligence in the death of his 21-month-old daughter who died of dehydration and malnutrition.
5. The Ministry of Transportation has said it is stalling work on GTA West Highway corridor. Under the project a six-lane highway had to be constructed to connect Milton with Vaughan.
6. Global markets closed higher after US Feds announced to raise interest rates.
7. After getting briefing from his national security team, US President Barack Obama said the US-led coalition is hitting IS harder than ever.
8. Russian President Vladimir Putin wishes to improve Russia-US relations.
9. Russian President Vladimir Putin has said his country is ready to cooperate with international officials to end the doping menace and those involved must be punished, but suspending all Russian athletes is unfair.
10. On the first anniversary of Peshawar Army Public School carnage, parents and victims have asked the Pakistani government to hold a judicial inquiry in this gory incident.
11. Pakistan’s T20 captain Shahid Afridi has said Pakistan will not repeat the same mistakes against India and try to win against rivals in the World T20 Cup match to be held on March 19, 2016.
12. The impact of US Fed increase is slated to be minimal on India.
13. Google Chief Sundar Pichai has met with business leaders in India and assured of huge investments in the country.
14. Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has rubbished AAP’s allegations against him in the alleged DDCA scam saying there is no case against him.
15. In a string of charges AAP has announced it has proper proofs against Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley that will soon be made public. The party also said the recent CBI raid was intended to remove the files of DDCA, headed once by Jaitley.
16. India ranks 97 on the best country for business list released by Forbes magazine.
17. In the Abohar murder case, police has nabbed three more accused and ceased some weapons as well.
18. An elderly Sikh passenger was called bin Laden by a co-passenger. An online video said: “Would you feel safe flying with bin laden?”