Midweek Headlines – October 15
- Average home prices have increased by 6% and the main pull upwards is seen in the Vancouver and Toronto area. However, if these two markets are taken out, the year-on-year gain was reduced to 2.9%. Housing markets were hit bad in Alberta where it came down by 4%, in Saskatchewan it decreased by 3.5% and in Prince Edward Island by 9.5%. The real estate sector however, remained robust in Nova Scotia as it rose by 20% and in Ontario by 6.5%.
- Though the October 19 election day is just round the corner, leaders are still in campaign mode. However, only the minority government is writing on the wall as no clear majority is in sight.
- Residents in Toronto celebrated the massive victory of Blue Jays in Game 5 yesterday against Texas Rangers.
- US president Barack Obama is expected to make a major announcement today regarding the future of American soldiers in Afghanistan after 2016. According to reports at least 55,000 American soldiers will stay in Afghanistan even after 2016.
- The world is closely monitoring the American and Russian strategy in Syria as Russian aggression is growing in that country. Experts fear this might result in America-Russia clash.
- Situation in Indian Punjab remains tense and under the Punjab band call many businesses stay closed.
- In India CBI has appealed the Supreme Court of the country for an urgent hearing in the Virbhadra Singh case.
- Though billionaires are increasing in India but China has the fastest growing population of the wealthiest people, overtaking the USA in this regard.
- Indian bowler Zaheer Khan has announced he is retiring from international cricket. Khan took 311 wickets in Test cricket. He has shown the intent to play IPL’s next season but will retire from even domestic cricket after that series.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: file_get_contents(http://ipinfo.io/188.8.131.52): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 429 Too Many Requests
in /home/southasiandaily/public_html/wp-content/themes/localnews/footer.php on line 84