Midweek Headlines – October 19
- The 78-day election campaign has come to an end and today is the Federal Election Day in Canada.
- Uber is offering free rides to first timers to and from polling stations today.
- South Asian Canadian channel – Channel Y launched. A 24-hour, seven- days a week channel, it will be available on Rogers 857 and on Bell Fiber at 828.
- According to Iran’s nuclear negotiator programme on the Iran-USA nuclear deal will be implemented this year. He also said in wake of this deal Iran will serve as a better energy source.
- India President Pranab Mukherjee has said that India has a 5000-year-old civilization and tolerance is a characteristic of Indian society. Therefore, India must give message of peace.
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi has criticised Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s budget cuts saying it will hurt fight against malnutrition. She oversees a scheme that feeds 100 million poor people in the country.
- Ink and mobil oil was thrown on Jammu and Kashmir law maker and others who threw a beef party.
- BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur has said that BCCI has called off talks on reviving cricketing ties with Pakistan amid Shiv Sena protests. A meeting was to take place between BCCI officials and PCB chief Shahryar Khan.
- Protests continue in Punjab’s Malwa region amid desecration of Granth Sahib.
- India lost the third ODI against South Africa by 18 runs in Rajkot. Visitors are leading the series by 2-0. Indian squad for the last two ODIs and Test has been announced. For Test matches Harbhajan Singh has been dropped and Jadeja has been called in.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.