Midweek Headlines – October 6
- The new Mainstreet Technologies survey conducted for the Postmedia Network reveals Conservatives have the support of 37% people, the Liberals have 29%, and the NDP 24%.
- The latest Nanos Research conducted for CTV and Globe and Mail shows the Liberals ahead of other parties with 35% voter support, Conservatives with 31.5%, and NDP has 23.1% support of voters.
- An Ipsos Reid poll shows Conservatives have 33% support of people, the Liberals have 32% while the NDP has 26%.
- Prime Minister Stephen Harper was in Whitby today where he pledged a $1 billion for the automotive industry. He will be in Mississauga this afternoon.
- The federal government got a deadly blow when the Federal Court of Appeal rejected its stay application against Zunera Ishaq allowing her to take citizenship oath wearing niqab. Zunera had refused to take her niqab off during the citizenship ceremony in 2011.
- In an accident on QEW a buffalo has died.
- In a recent report released by BMO, if mortgages are increased by $500 more, six out of five would not be able to pay them.
- Detailed investigations are being carried out on the air strikes on a hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan in which five died and 37 got seriously injured including 19 members of Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF). As a result MSF is pulling out its doctors.
- Pakistan’s former foreign minister Khurshid Mahmud Kasuri has revealed that after Mumbai attacks, India planned surgical air attacks on the targets of Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) and Jamaatud Dawa (JuD) in Pakistan.
- Senate’s Standing Committee in Pakistan has reported that since January this year 588 people have lost their lives in violent terrorist attacks.
- Suspect bowling has been reported for the star performer of Pakistan cricket team, Bilal Asif who devastated Zimbabwe with his bowling. Meanwhile, Shoaib Malik has been added to Pakistan’s Test squad for England due to his recent good performance.
- In wake of war of words, police has filed FIRs against BJP chief Amit Shah and RJD chief Lalu Prasad Yadav.
- In the Dadri case, police has filed FIRs against Union Minister Mahesh Sharma and BJP leader Sangeet Som.
- In India 37 firms have been given nod to prepare plan for 88 smart cities.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said young talented Indians wish to become entrepreneurs.
- The head of Takht Keshgarh sahib was injured when a priest attacked him with a knife.
- Indian cricket team’s performance is under scanner as in the first T20 against South Africa, Indian bowling collapsed while in the second its batting failed.
- Singh is Bling is doing well as its worldwide collections stand at IRs78 crores while Talvar has minted IRs50 crores.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.