Midweek Headlines – September 30
- The latest Nanos Research poll shows the Liberals and the Conservatives are going head to head in elections. The new survey reveals 32.2% support for the Liberals, 32.1% for the Conservatives and 26.3% for the NDP. In Ontario Liberals are ahead of other parties while support for NDP has dropped slightly in Quebec.
- The Brampton North debate held yesterday by Yudhvir Jaswal will be aired today on Omni at 6:30pm, 8pm, and 9:30pm during the South Asian Today show. The participants of this debate were, Conservative Parm Gill, NDP’s Martin Singh and Ruby Sahota from Liberal party.
- According to the latest Statistics Canada report, the country’s GDP in July increased by 0.3% against experts’ prediction of 0.2% rise. It is worth mentioning here that the country’s GDP in the first five months of the current year remained low.
- All the 12 nations involved in the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) are about to finalized new set of rules for the auto industry. Talks earlier were initiated by USA, Japan and Canada. Prime Minister Harper has said once the deal comes in effect, it will help Canadian economy.
- Today all eyes are on Toronto where city council will decide the future of Uber service.
- Ontario Elementary School Teachers union will soon start another round of talks with the government.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin’s request for airstrikes against ISIS has been approved by the parliament. As a result Russia has started aerial attacks against rebel targets in Syria.
- American forces have joined military coalition in Afghanistan to fight back Taliban for regaining hold in Kunduz that for long has been a stronghold of the militant outfit.
- According to the latest statistics, during the first two quarters of 2015, India attracted the maximum number of foreign direct investment of $31 billion followed by China that was $28 billion and USA $27 billion.
- Normal life has been disrupted by the call of Punjab bandh by Sikh organizations who are protesting against Akal Takht’s pardon to the chief of Sera Sacha Sauda.
- Pakistan has secured its berth in the 2017 Champions Trophy as confirmed by the new ICC rankings. Pakistan for long has been locked in battle with West Indies and Bangladesh but the side’s ODI victory against Sri Lanka edged the Caribbean side out.
- The first T20 match between India and South Africa will be played on Friday. The match will start at 9:30am Toronto time and Southasian PULSE will give live updates on the game.
,South Asian Daily
,South Asian Pulse
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.