PCB ex-chief Sethi withdraws as ICC president nominee
Lahore, June 1 (IANS) Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) executive committee chairman Najam Sethi on Monday withdrew his nomination to the International Cricket Council (ICC) presidency with immediate effect, at the same time “requesting the board of governors of the PCB to nominate a great Pakistani ex-Test cricketer” in his place for the 2015-16 term.
According to a PCB release, Najam Sethi wrote a letter to ICC chairman N. Srinivasan on Monday morning, which said: “Since the ICC announced that from next year the post of ICC president will be open only to iconic Test cricketers nominated by member Boards, I have increasingly felt that it is only fitting that this rule should be implemented straightaway so that one of Pakistan’s great iconic cricketers should be so honoured.”
“Under the circumstances, I am withdrawing my nomination to ICC presidency with immediate effect and requesting the board of governors of the PCB to nominate a great Pakistani ex-Test cricketer in my place,” he said.
The ICC had asked the PCB to nominate an ex-cricketer in September last year but Pakistan came up with Sethi’s name. Sethi, the former chairman of the PCB, was slated to take over from Mustafa Kamal as the ICC president for a period of 12 months from July 1.
The ICC after its April board meeting said it would consider Sethi’s appointment as ICC president during its meeting in Barbados June end. Sethi was also briefed about the role of the ICC president and explained the responsibilities six months ago.
On Monday, Sethi apologised for withdrawing the nomination. “I apologise for this belated decision and any inconvenience caused to the ICC. But I am sure all ICC members will appreciate the spirit in which I have taken this decision.”