Province sets Oct. 31 deadline for LRT
The Ontario government has set an October 31 deadline for the city of Brampton to make a final decision on the proposed Light Rail Transit project on Hurontario-Main Street. The province has also ruled out the possibility of working on any alternate routes.
The strong message was delivered by Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation at townhall meeting held in Brampton on Tuesday. “It can’t go on forever, I have sent a letter back to the mayor confirming that by October this year, we need an answer.”
The townhall was hosted by Harinder Malhi, MPP, Brampton-Springdale. Regional councilors Gael Miles and Michael Pallechi and City Councillor Pat Fortini were also in attendance.
Minister Duca said that if the council rejects the proposed route through the downtown core, the Province will move forward with the project, but will not build the transit line beyond the Gateway Terminal at Steeles Avenue.
Just last week the council decided to hire a facilitator at a cost of more than $50,000 to help ease tensions on council as the mayor proposed a referendum on the LRT if they failed to reach a consensus.
The minister also said that $1.6 billion in funding is tied to the 23-kilometre long Hurontario-Main LRT. If the city is not able to make any decision the Province will build up to Steeles and rest of the money will go back to the Moving Ontario Forward Plan.
“It is important for the government to start work on these projects as soon as possible”, said the minister.