SECONDARY TEACHERS’ STRIKE CONFIRMED
Peel board secondary schools closed as of May 4, 2015, for secondary teachers’ strike
Updated May 4, 2015
The Ontario Secondary School Teachers’ Federation (OSSTF) has notified the Peel District School Board today that secondary teachers and secondary occasional teachers will be on strike effective May 4, 2015.
Since we cannot ensure the safety of students during a secondary teachers’ strike, we have no choice but to close all Peel board secondary schools (grades 9 to 12) to students as of May 4. Please do not send your teen to school during the strike.
As of May 4:
- All regular instructional programs for grade 9 to 12 students are cancelled.
- Secondary extracurricular activities, field trips and school events are cancelled.
- Buses for secondary students will not operate. Buses will continue their routes for elementary students only. Buses to provincial schools will continue.
- The Peel board’s eLearning courses will not continue.
- Night School classes will not run.
- Both elementary and secondary International Language classes are cancelled.
- Teachers may be picketing outside Peel secondary schools. Picketing is not expected to take place outside Peel elementary schools.
Students writing International Baccalaureate (IB) or Advanced Placement (AP) exams are reminded that exams will continue at off-site locations as communicated.
During a secondary teachers’ strike, students are encouraged to continue their learning through self-directed study. Students may also consider volunteering in the community as they can continue to work towards their 40-hour community involvement requirement, which they need to graduate. View our student learning resources for more details.
We will continue to monitor the situation and its impact on students, and will keep you updated as the situation changes. To find out the status of schools during labour action:
- Look for updates on social media—follow @PeelSchools on Twitter and/or like our page on Facebook at www.facebook.com/peelschools.
- Visit the Peel board website at www.peelschools.org/labour.
We remain committed to reaching fair, equitable agreements with all of our employee groups. As always, we appreciate your patience and understanding.