SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES AUGUST 19TH 2016
COURTESY : IANS
- In Canada inflation rate rose to 1.3% in July after increasing 1.5% in June, according to Statistics Canada. The report says though food items are getting expensive but gas prices are low. Newfoundland and Labrador has the highest inflation of 3.4%.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his Liberal cabinet is in Sudbury for retreat where they will hold a BBQ and engage with local parliamentarians.
- Ontario provincial Police has charged a 21-year-old boy for walking on Burlington skyway after he released a video on youtube that went viral. Poilce has called it irresponsible behavior.
- According to the Economist Intelligence report Canadian cities have topped the list of world’s most livable cities. On the list Vancouver stands on no three position, Toronto on the fourth, and Calgary on the fifth. The best city is listed as Melbourn followed by Vienna on no two.
- An Indo-Amercian couple, Dr Harkeerat and Deepta Dhillon have donated $100,000 to an American university to support Sikh and Punjabi culture. They said many students coming to the university are not aware of the Sikh culture and so its knowledge must be inculcated with stress on Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Though Navjot Singh Sidhu has still not joined AAP, party convenor and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said he met Sidhu a few days back and he did not put any pre-conditions but is asking for more time. Kejriwal appreciated Sidhu calling him a good man and a legendary cricketer best. He added whether Sidhu joins AAP or not, he will always respect the cricketer.
- The CRPF has told J&K high court that more people will be more fatalities if traditional guns are used instead of pellet guns. The valley has been rocked by protests following the death of Hizbul Mujahideen militant Burhan Wani.
- Haryana government for the first time has agreed its investigation revealed women were raped during last year’s agitation as reported by SIT. The case might be forwarded to CBI for further probe.
- The panel investigating Bhagwant Mann’s parliament videography of sensitive areas that went viral on his facebook, have asked Speaker Sumitra Mahajan for more time. Chairman Kirit Somaiya has said the matter is complex and asked for extension till the end of first week of the winter session. The panel was given a two-week extension earlier also.
- Suspended AAP MP Dharamvira Gandhi has set up a political forum and informed media it will pull up all traditional parties such as Congress and Akali Dal for their wrongdoings and even AAP members if they are involved in any misconduct. He revealed several big names are joining him and their names will be revealed on August 23 at a press conference.
- Delhi CM and AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal from next month will start his election campaign in Europe, as part of the party’s, AAP Punjab 2017 agenda. He will be joined by Kumar Vishwas, Jarnail Singh and Adarsh Shashtri. Kejriwal will meet Italy’s Punjabi-origin population and also garner support from the British Punjabi community while there.
- Addressing a rally at Baba Bakala, Punjab’s Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said that both Congress and AAP are anti-Punjab forces and will ruin the state. If Akali Dal wins again it will work on the development agenda. He also alleged that AAP made false promises in Delhi and has not fulfilled any of its undertakings.
- Addressing a rally at Baba Bakala, senior Congress leader Capt Amarinder Singh said he wishes to see sparkling smile on the faces of every Punjab but Badals and Majithia have pushed the state in drugs. If Congress wins both will be sent to jail, he claimed. Capt also said both have also destroyed the state economically that has a loan of IRs 1.25 lakh crore.
- India’s Punjab University will get a grant of IRs 40 crores on Monday.
- Canadian wrestler Erica Wiebe won the fourth gold medal at Rio Olympics.
- Jamaican Usain Bolt won another gold in 200m yesterday. He claimed to be one of the greatest athletes. Canadian Andre de Grasse got silver.
- Shuttler PV Sindhu created history by winning silver in women’s singles finals at Rio Olympics against world no 1, Carolina Marin of Spain.
- The fourth Test being played between India and West Indies could not resume today due to bad weather. On day one yesterday in the first innings, West Indies had made 62/2.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.