SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES FEBRUARY 15TH 2016
- The 27-year-old Ayanie Hassan Ali attacked a military recruitment centre on Yonge St and Sheppard Avenue in Toronto yesterday and injured two members of the Canadian Armed Forces. Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders has said detailed investigations are underway to see a possible terror connection but said it was too early to comment.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will meet UN Secretary General Ban-Ki Moon in New York from March 16 to 17. He will announce the date of Canada’s plans to run for a seat on the Security Council. Trudeau will also be given an award during a gala dinner at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.
- For the first time in the history of Canada the price of an average house in GTA has crossed $503,057 that is an increase of 16% from February last year. Mainly British Columbia and Ontario are driving these high prices. Home prices in this February compared to the same month last year in BC have gone up by 20% and in Ontario 12%. If these two states are taken out then the national average home price stands at $291,000, that is 1.5% less compared to last year.
- In the second Super Tuesday in the USA, voters are voting for the Republican and Democratic primaries in Florida, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri and North Carolina. Experts are saying if Donald Trump emerges victorious in these states, defeating him would be difficult.
- Russian defence minister has announced the first of its aircrafts have started departing from Syria. United Nations has welcomed Russia’s decision.
- Htin Kyaw has been elected as Myanmar’s next president. He is the first civilian leader of the country after more than 50 years of military rule.
- A top ISIS commander has been killed in the US air strikes in Iraq.
- Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Chhagan Bhujbal’s judicial custody has been extended. NCP chief Sharad Pawar backs Bhujbal saying cases are politically motivated.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has said some prominent people are hiding their taxable income under agricultural earnings and the government is probing their cases to bring them in the tax fold.
- A woman who filed rape cases against Gurgaon deputy mayor Parminder Kataria has been booked for extortion and blackmail.
- The judicial custody of JNU students Umar Khalid and Anirbhan Bhattacharya has been extended.
- Punjab’s finance minister Parminder Singh Dhindsa presented the state budget in assembly today.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal who is on a visit to Punjab has said the BSP founder Kanshi Ram was a visionary and should be conferred with a Bharat Ratna award.
- In Haryana, three Congress MLAs have been suspended for six months for tearing copies of governor’s address inside the house.
- Pope Francis has announced that Mother Teresa will be given the title of Roman Catholic Saint.
- In the World T20 match between New Zealand and India, the guests made 126 runs.