SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES FEBRUARY 4TH 2016
1. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and the premiers have agreed to a climate plan framework in Vancouver. However, carbon pricing remains undecided.
2. Over 1,600 Progressive Conservatives from Ontario will meet at its first annual convention under new leader Patrick Brown.
3. The Crown will argue today for the new trials of Shafia trio who killed their own three daughters and another family member.
4. RCMP seeks public help after 11 ATM machines were stolen in various communities around Saskatoon.
5. USA created about 242,000 jobs in February against the forecast of 198,000. Also the unemployment rate for the first time in eight years has down from 5% to 4.9%. The report also showed hike in salaries and average working hours. Experts think if USA moves at the same pace, a recession predicted earlier looks a distant possibility.
6. Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif will assess security measures adopted for Pakistani cricketers in India for the World T20 Cup. The prime minister also sought a report from PCB for the dismal performance of the cricket team in Asia Cup 2016. A committee has been formed in this regard and Test captain Misbah-ul-Haq and legendary batsman Younis Khan have been taken on board a committee that will examine the country’s disastrous performance at this level.
7. MQM holds peaceful demonstration in favour of Altaf Hussian in 18 different parts of Karachi.
8. The lawyer of Jagdeep Singh Gill filed a petition against AAP leaders Arvind Kejriwal and Bhagwant Mann saying they caused communal violence in Punjab. Gill had alleged that AAP leaders distributed posters of Jarnail Singh Bhindranwala. The court will hear the case on March 19.
9. The Election Commission of India has announced that elections in five states – West Bengal, Kerala, Assam, Tamil Nadu and Puducherry – will be held in April and May. Results in these states will serve as a litmus test for the popularity of Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and BJP.
10. JNU student leader Kanhaiya Kumar, released on bail recently has said Afzal Guru is not his icon but Rohith Vemula is.
11. Mehbooba Mufti has met the governor to discuss J&K’s political situation.
12. In the 10th match of Asia Cup 2016, Pakistan beat Sri Lanka by six wickets.