SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES : JANUARY 26TH 2016
- The Canadian Human Rights Tribunal has reported that the federal government discriminates against First Nations children by not extending them the same welfare services given to other kids.
- Former federal Conservative cabinet minister Peter MacKay has joined a Toronto law firm but has not ruled out return to politics.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met with Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre in regards to the Energy East pipeline and said he will play an honest referee. Trudeau said though the federal government cannot push such projects but he will put processes in place to assess the situation.
- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov during a press conference in Moscow has said his country is ready to restore relations with Canada hoping the new government will not repeat the mistakes of its predecessors or interfere in Ukraine issue. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau though has shown interest in normalizing ties but said Russia must end its interference in Ukraine.
- Trudeau cabinet is expected to discuss Canada’s role in fight against ISIS.
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has said the only way to defeat extremism in Middle East is to boost the region’s economy. Rouhani is on a four-day visit to Italy and France to strength ties.
- At least 20 people were killed in multiple attacks in Syrian city of Homs ahead of peace talks.
- Pakistan’s Foreign Office has lodged a complaint with Afghan diplomat over Bacha Khan University attack saying it has enough proof that its planning was done in Afghanistan and urged that country to take action against perpetrators.
- PCB Chairman Shaharyar Khan has said he does not have any serious concerns about the cricket team though some changes might be madea. In fact he said the team should be encouraged and one must refrain from talking against them.
- A stunning 67th Indian Republic Day parade took place in Delhi. The ceremony was also attended by French President Francois Hollande. For the first time in the history of the country a foreign army unit also joined the contingent as the 35th infantry Regiment of France also participated.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has approved central rule in Arunachal Pradesh.
- India has won the first T20 against Australia, thanks to the brilliant batting of Virat Kohli and bowler Jaspreet Bumbra who took three wickets. Channel Y will hold special discussions on cricket and R-Day celebrations tonight.
In Punjab, the R-Day celebrations took place in Bathinda. Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal unfurled the flag