SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES JANUARY 28TH 2016
- WHO has informed that the mosquito born Zika virus is spreading in 20 countries including Brazil, has reached USA and might enter Canada too. The virus might affect nearly four million people in the Americas.
- Some released government documents reveal that the Conservative government cherry-picked files of Syrian refugees.
- Four Toronto police officers have been charged with 17 offences including nine counts of obstructing justice and perjury.
- A female who was stabbed with a sharp knife by another woman in Brampton near Torbram and Sandalwood is in police custody. The injured woman was rushed to Brampton Civic Hospital where her condition is said to be critical but stable.
- In a privacy breach, RBC sent incorrect RRSP information to nearly 500 customers.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will visit La Loche, Saskatchewan tomorrow where four people died and two got injured in a shooting that took place earlier.
- North Korea is preparing to test fire its long-range ballistic missile.
- Sweden might reject 80,000 asylum seekers’ applications out of the 163,000 it received.
- Greece has announced one more migrant boat has capsized near its beach in which 25 people have died. Search operation for more bodies is on.
- The Council of Islamic Ideology in Pakistan has said it is ready to review blasphemy laws if the government refers it to the body.
- Pakistan’s Interior minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has said Pakistan needs to win psychological war against terrorism and opposed closure of schools in Punjab saying security has already been beefed up around them.
- Pakistan’s Foreign Office spokesperson Qazi Khalilullah has said India should not blame Pakistan without proof for any terrorist activity that takes place in that country. He added both countries should fight against this menace together as terrorism is a global problem.
- Indian President Pranab Mukherjee has said he never aspired to become the prime minister and was shocked when ousted by Rajiv Gandhi.
- Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu has released names of 20 smart cities that include five capital cities. The cities selected are: Bhubaneswar (Odisha), Pune (Maharashtra), Jaipur (Rajasthan), Surat (Gujarat), Kochi (Kerala), Ahmedabad (Gujarat), Jabalpur (Madhya Pradesh), Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh), Sholapur (Maharashtra), Davangere (Karnataka), Indore (Madhya Pradesh), New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC, Delhi), Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu), Kakinada (Andhra Pradesh), Belagavi (Karnataka), Udaipur (Rajasthan), Guwahati (Assam), Chennai (Tamil Nadu), Ludhiana (Punjab), and Bhopal (Madhya Pradesh). Nearly IRs50,802 crores have been set aside for the project.
- Bihar’s Congress MLA has been booked for kidnapping a woman.
- India prepares for Zika virus.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: file_get_contents(http://ipinfo.io/22.214.171.124): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 429 Too Many Requests
in /home/southasiandaily/public_html/wp-content/themes/localnews/footer.php on line 84