SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES JULY 19TH 2016
- New security system has been installed on Toronto’s Pearson Airport to screen travelers going to USA. The new security screening system will speed up processes.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will connect with people through Twitter today to get their views on government working and formulate future course of action.
- In a Downtown Toronto street fight, one man has died.
- Truck driver Sukhvinder Rai has been sentenced to one year in jail in the Burlington Skyway crash and three years driving ban. The event took place on July 31, 2014 in which three people were injured. It caused traffic congestion due to massive damage.
- Melania Trump’s speech at Republican convention was strikingly similar to that of first lady Michelle Obama at Democratic convention in 2008. Though Republicans overall liked her speech and called those references as a mere coincidence adding she did not copy Michelle’s speech. The part mentioned that was allegedly plagiarized, read: “We need to pass those lessons on to the many generations to follow, because we want our children in this nation to know that the only limit to your achievements is the strength of your dreams and your willingness to work for them.” Melania though belonged to the middle class became popular model. Last year in June when Trump announced to run the race, it was alleged that Melania did some nude photography that saddened Trump. Currently poll numbers in USA show there is not much difference between the two.
- The Republican Party manifesto shows India as a strategic partner but has also mentioned it must protect different religious communities against violence. It also talks of securing Pakistan’s nuclear arsenal.
- In France a man with a gun is in a holdup in a hotel room.
- The 17-year-old Afghan refugee, who injured four in an axe attack on a German train, had applied for refugee status in the country. As ISIS has taken responsibility of the attack, a handmade ISIS flag has also been recovered from his room.
- Two pilots of Air Transat were arrested and charged at Glasgow Airport for being under the influence of alcohol. The plane had to fly from Glasgow to Toronto. The passengers are amazed and asking if pilots should undergo some kind of breath-analyser test. Similar test is being asked for public transit drivers.
- Police in Pakistan has arrested MQM leader Wasim Akhtar and Anis Qaimkhani in Dr Asim case.
- A Special Court in Pakistan has ordered to seize former army chief General (R) Pervez Musharraf’s properties and freeze his accounts.
- The Indian government has allowed its bureaucrats to use twitter but none of the social media engines can be used for criticizing the government.
- The Supreme Court has asked Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi to face trial in a defamation case for his remarks that RSS was involved in Mahatma Gandhi’s assassination.
- Punjab MLA Navjot Kaur Sidhu, wife of Navjot Singh Sidhu, who resigned yesterday from his position yesterday, has clarified several points in front of media saying she not resigned from BJP, only her husband Navjot Singh Sidhu has It is worth mentioning here that Navjot Singh Sidhu joined BJP and started his political career at the insistence of former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee, but he was denied party ticket for 2014 Lok Sabha elections from Amritsar, from where he had won thrice. BJP gave Sidhu ticket to contest from Delhi, Chandigarh or Kurukshetra but not Amritsar, so he declined. Arun Jaitley was brought in to contest from Amritsar, and so Sidhu was sidelined. Today his wife, Dr Navjot Kaur Sidhu, accused the Akali Dal-BJP coalition government in Punjab for not doing anything and appreciated AAp manifesto but did not say she will join the party. She said Sidhu has quit Rajya Sabha and he is not returning but again did not mention if Sidhu will be joining AAP. She said every party has good candidates but the question is are they given the chance to come to the forefront? However, she clarified these are her personal opinions.
- Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi will meet senior leaders in Delhi tomorrow to discuss poll strategy. He will also review strategy prepared by Prashant Kishore and Capt Amarinder Singh.
- Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal while distributing blue cards among new beneficiaries under the Atta-Dal scheme said Navjot Singh Sidhu can join Trump or AAP it will not make any difference to Akali Dal. He also allegedly denounced Delhi Chief Minister and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal for not believing in God or any other religion. Already 60,000 beneficiaries have benefitted while 13,000 new cards are being prepared and distributed now. He also said Kejriwal’s sewa at the Golden Temple is a drama, saying he committed acts of desecration and now this to seek forgiveness.
- Canada and several other countries are urging world bodies to ban the whole Russian contingent for Rio Olympics 2016. Other are saying only those athletes be banned who used drugs not all.