SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES : MARCH 21ST 2016
1. The Liberals will present their first federal budget tomorrow. Stress would be on infrastructure funding, economy and jobs. However, opposition has posed several questions.
2. A new poll survey conducted by Forum Research shows that Canadians are worried about economic uncertainty especially their own financial stability. About 69% are shaken on the issue of their own financial stability. Youngsters between the age-bracket of 18-34 are afraid of uncertainty in jobs. About 26% want the government to spend on infrastructure, 18% wish tax cuts in the new budget and 14% are concerned about job creation.
3. NDP leader Tom Mulcair is not sure if he will remain the party leader after NDP convention in April but has received a big boost from Quebec caucus that is supporting him.
4. After a week’s break, the Tom Bosma trial restarts today. The two accused in this case are Mark Smich, 28, from Oakville and Dellen Millard, 30, from Toronto.
5. A court will give its ruling in the case of 14 senators today how much money they have to pay back.
6. One person died over the weekend on Highway 421 in Toronto.
7. Obama arrives in Cuba to increase US-Cuba relations. He is the first US president to visit this country in 88 years.
8. In complete defiance of UN resolution, North Korea test fired five short-range missiles in the sea. The test was targeted towards USA and Japan test fired.
9. Paris attacker Salah Abdelsalam caught in Brussels has revealed he had received a huge cache of weapons and was preparing for more attacks in Brussels, the country’s foreign minister Didier Reynders informed media.
10. Russia says ceasefire in Syria must be respected by all parties warning Russia will take action against the violator.
11. PCB might sack Pakistan’s T20 captain Shahid Afridi after loss to India. Chairman Shahryar Khan has clarified PCB had an agreement with Afridi that he will retire after the T20 tournament.
12. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said opposition is only spreading lies against BJP on the issue of reservation.
13. Congress has ousted the son of Viyay Bahuguna for anti-party activities.
14. Nepal and China have signed a deal for a strategic transit link between the two countries. With this treaty Nepal has ended Indian monopoly in trade.
15. No new taxes have been added to Haryana’s budget.
16. AAP has alleged that Congress Punjab Chief Capt. Amrinder Singh’s son Raninder floated seven fake companies in Switzerland that must be investigated by Congress.
17. Ludhiana cancer hospital caught fire, injuring seven patients seriously.
18. Over the weekend, India won against Pakistan in the World T20 match. However, on points table Pakistan is ahead of India.
19. In today’s World T20 match, Bangladesh has given the target of 156 to Australia.