SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES : MARCH 25TH 2016
COURTESY : IANS
- Due to yesterday’s frigid weather, large parts of GTA are still without power supply and several flights even today might be cancelled at Pearson Airport, Toronto.
- Fortune magazine has named Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal as one of the World’s 50 Greatest Leaders for his innovative odd-even traffic scheme to battle pollution. He stands at the 42 position while Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is ranked at 48.
- According to an Abacus Data survey, about 51% Canadians have passed the first Liberal party budget while 34% disliked it.
- The Jian Gomeshi judgment has received mixed reactions from the community. Some have welcomed it while others have questioned the justice system.
- Peel police is investigating the death of a person who fell from a tractor at Pearson Airport and died.
- While police in Brussels launched major search operations in Brussels in wake of the suicide attacks in the city, two loud explosions were heard. Police has arrested seven suspects but has not released their names.
- US Secretary of State John Kerry is in Brussels today. He has said that USA is standing with Belgium in this difficult hour. Out of the 31 people who died in Brussels during terrorist attacks at the airport and metro train, two were Americans.
- Brussels has confessed it did not pay heed to Turkey’s warning about the person who entered Belgium had links with terrorism.
- French police has arrested one man who was in the advanced stages of planning a big attack in Paris.
- German police has also arrested two people with links to Brussels attackers.
- David Headley has told Mumbai court today he hated India since 1971 as India bombed his school during the India-Pakistan war that destroyed his school and killed many people and therefore he joined LeT to take revenge. He has also revealed that attempts were made to trade Israeli hostages in return for Ajmal Kasab’s release.
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is in Islamabad on a two-day official visit to Pakistan where he held meeting with Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif. The two sides will discuss trade and regional security.
- In J&K, BJP has elected Nirmal Singh as deputy chief minister. The party has also pledged support for PDP.
- The five-member Pakistani probe team on Pathankot attack has been granted visa and they are reaching India on Sunday for detailed investigation.
- Jet Airways carrying 242 people has reached India from Brussels.
- In the first World T20 match today, Australia defeated Pakistan by 21 runs pushing Pakistan out of semifinals. Australia made 193/4. In reply Pakistan could only make 172/ 8.
- The second World T20 match today is being played between South Africa and West Indies.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.