SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES : MARCH 29TH 2016
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Calgary today to participate in a roundtable on Employment Insurance.
- The 29-year-old Marco Muzzo, who pleaded guilty to murder of three kids and their grandfather, has been sentenced to 10 years in prison with 12-year ban on driving.
- Visitation for former Toronto mayor Rob Ford continues.
- A survey conducted by Forum Research shows only 20% of Ontarians approve of working of Kathleen Wynne while 64% disapproved. PC party leader Patrick Brown has the approval rating of 26% while 22% disapprove. NDP leader Andrea Horwath had the best ratings of 35%. When asked who would people vote if elections were held today, 40% supported PC and just 30% the Liberal party and 24% the NDP.
- A 21-year-old Brampton man accused of stabbing his mother will be produced in court.
- RCMP has charged a Brampton man for terrorism. He will appear in court today.
- A hijacker who diverted the EgyptAir plane to Cyprus has been arrested.
- Pakistani Prime Minister has asked for better coordination between security agencies to crackdown on terrorists in Lahore.
- Taliban have sent a message to the government of Pakistan they have arrived in Punjab and will keep fighting against them.
- The Pakistani probe team has ended its Pathankot investigation amid protests by AAP and Congress.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will be leaving soon on a three-country visit to Belgium, US, and Saudi Arabia. Counter-terrorism will be at the top of his agenda.
- Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi has said if BJP wins in Assam, RSS will take over governance.
- The high court in Uttarakhand has said despite President’s rule in the state, the ruling Congress party can prove its majority.
- Supreme Court has ordered Sebi to sell some of Subrata Roy-led Sahara Group’s properties to pay thousands of shareholders.
- Shiromani Akali Dal has chosen a few villages for infrastructural development. Opposition has criticized the move.
- In the first World T20 semi-final tomorrow, England will take on New Zealand.
- In the World T20 semi-final on Thursday, India will take on West Indies. West Indies has made one change in its squad and included Lendl Simmons replacing the injured Andre Fletcher.