SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MARCH 2ND 2016
1. A new poll survey shows that the Liberal government has the support of 46.6% now, that is 7% more from October elections; Conservatives have 29.1%, three per cent less since elections; NDP 14.6%, 5% less since last elections; Greens 5.4% – that is +2% while Bloc Quebecois 3.6%, 1.1% less.
2. An American company – McKesson – has acquired Edmonton-based Rexall Health for $3 billion. Rexall owns 470 retail pharmacies across Canada.
3. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will try to find common ground at the premiers meets in Vancouver on the issue of climate change. Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall is against a carbon tax. While Alberta’s Premier Rachel Notley has said she was expecting fireworks before planning for this event.
4. A Calgary woman was given physician assisted suicide. She had said she liked to pass away peacefully.
5. In the Super Tuesday contest, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton scored landslide victories. It seems imminent that Trump and Clinton will meet in a final faceoff.
6. Donald Trump’s victory in Super Tuesday prompted thousands of Americans to Google, ‘How I Can Move to Canada’?
7. A powerful earthquake has hit Indonesia off Sumatra Island and the country has issued a tsunami warning.
8. United Nations has adopted more sanctions for North Korea.
9. At least two people have died and 19 injured in an attack on Indian Consulate in Afghanistan.
10. A man killed both his sisters in Sahiwal as he doubted their character. This is the latest in honour killing in Pakistan.
11. Pakistan, Afghanistan, USA and China have agreed on a roadmap for Afghanistan. Sartaj Aziz, Advisor to Pakistani Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs has said though his country has some influence on Afghan Taliban, who come to Pakistan but a peace deal cannot be brokered on behalf of the Afghan government.
12. Protests by religious parties in Pakistan against the hanging of Mumtaz Qadri might create problems for government in Pakistan.
13. Javed Miandad has blasted Shahid Afridi saying he does not deserve a place in the team. However, some quarters have said he should not be so harsh on him.
14. Delhi High Court gives six months bail to JNU student Kanhaiya Kumar.
15. Ridiculing Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi, Arun Jaitley said in Lok Sabha he has less knowledge of common man. Hitting back, Rahul said he is not BJP’s enemy but the government must listen to them. Also Narendra Modi is India’s prime minister not that of BJP.
16. The 2016 Indian budget has made Provident Fund taxable. The government is under fire as common man is facing problems because new taxes are being imposed all the time.
17. Congress president Sonia Gandhi has defended P. Chidambaram against the revelation of RVS Mani in the Ishrat Jehan encounter case.
18. BJP and AGP join hands to contest together for the 2016 Assam elections.
19. Akali Dal and BJP will take the Termination of Water Agreement Act 2004 to the centre jointly.
20. Punjab Congress Chief Capt Amarinder Singh has launched a new campaign – Drug Free Punjab – and alleged some SAD ministers are patronizing drug trade.
21. Strategist Prashant Kishor hired by Congress on a hefty fee is preparing a strategy for the party to win in Punjab.
22. In Asia Cup 2016, Bangladesh defeats Pakistan by five wickets.