SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MAY 17TH 2016
- In Ottawa, Justice Minister Jody Wilson-Raybould presented the transgender rights bill today – May 17 – that is celebrated as the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia. Earlier Prime Minister Justin Trudeau had said he will introduce a bill to add gender equality and offer full protection to their rights.
- At Queen’s Park, Ontario Liberals have introduced new legislation to tighten rules around political fundraising. Announcing new rules, MPP Yasir Naqvi said he held meetings with various party members as the government wished to unite not only the political parties but the public as well. When asked if those rules will be implemented by June 2018 elections in Ontario, he hoped they would be in place.
- In Fort McMurray as fire is spreading in oil sands camps, 8,000 more have been evacuated from there.
- A new survey shows that 46% Canadians think today they are better than a year before.
- The child of a 33-year-old pregnant woman who was shot near Rexdale is said to be stable.
- The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives has reported that the children of First Nations are living in deplorable poverty.
- Matthew de Grood, 24, trial in the murder of five university students in Calgary continues. He told court then he thought he was killing werewolves.
- While inaugurating a DIK project, Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has warned PTI that in 2018 elections the party will lose in Khyber Pakhtunkhawa.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif paid in personal taxes about PRs35.9 million over a period of in the last 23 years. But his tax records between 2007 to 2009 are missing.
- Under a new bill, India will fine IRs100 crores and seven years in jail for depicting wrong map of Kashmir. Pakistan has shown concern on Kashmir bill and taken the matter to the UN. India has replied by saying it is India’s internal matter.
- In Delhi Municipal Corporation bypolls, AAP won five seats, Congress four and BJP only three seats.
- In Pathankot attack, Interpol has issued red notices against Jaish-e-Mohammed chief Masood Azhar and his brother Abdul Rauf.
- BJP MP Subramaniam Swamy has written a Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to sack RBI governor Raghuram Rajan as under him the Indian economy has suffered.
- Tension in Punjab Congress camp is increasing as strategist Prashant Kishor and Amarinder Singh lock horns. In yesterday’s press conference, Amarinder said: “I run party.” Kishor says he might quit if he is not given a free hand. It is worth noting that Kishor has the blessings of Rahul and Priyanka Gandhi.
- In IPL, players are praising the performance of Virat Kohli and Ab de Villiers. In the 2016 season, Kohli has broken several records. He made three centuries and scored the most runs.
- Raptors today will play their first ever match of the Eastern Conference against Cleveland.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.