SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MAY 19TH 2016
- PM Trudeau yesterday made formal apology in the House of Commons for the Komagata Maru incident.
- An NDP MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau accused Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of elbowing her in the Parliament as the Liberals cut short debate on government’s assisted-dying bill. Trudeau had to apologise after opposition claimed Trudeau manhandled the MP. PC leader Rona Ambrose criticized Trudeau harshly saying the Liberal government is not working well and the PM has been disrespectful. Opposition asks for an all party commission to be formed to probe the incident.
- In Fort McMurray though rescue operations are on but fire is only seem to be spreading.
- In Halton, seven students got injured, two seriously when a school bus collided with a truck.
- In Milton one man got seriously injured in an incident.
- In Mississippi, USA three people have died in an accident that took place between a train and a truck.
- An EgyptAir passenger jet crashed this morning in Mediterranean Sea. The plane, en route from Paris to Cairo with 66 people on board went missing just after entering Egyptian airspace. The plane also had on Canadian. Though investigations are on but terrorism cannot be ruled out.
- A Russian nuclear experts has said through India in the last 10 years has developed nuclear weapons and invested heavily on anti-ballistic missile systems but it is difficult to image it would be able to defend its territory if Pakistan strikes.
- According to official results, in West Bengal Mamata Banerjee’s ruling Trinamool Congress won while in Tamil Nadu AIADMK kept power in assembly elections. The BJP won in Assam while the Left party came in power in Kerala again. Congress lost in Assam, a state it had ruled for 15 years. In Pondicherry Congress won. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi congratulated West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee and her Tamil Nadu counterpart J. Jayalalithaa.
- In Punjab, Ludhiana police captures four accused including the main mastermind in Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale’s attack case. According to details a facebook clash led to this murder attempt. Police also confirmed that Hardev Singh was driving the Balero car that was also recovered. All four accused identified as Gangandeep Singh Harnoor, Jaspreet Singh, Manjeet Singh and Hardev Singh – are the followers of Damdami Teksal but when media reached the leader, Harnam Singh Dhuma for comments, they were told he was resting and could not comment on the incident. Earlier Dhuma had said he had no hand in it. Dhadrianwale, meanwhile, has said there were more people than the four arrested and more vehicles. He has warned state police to take proper action otherwise they will go in front of people of Punjab.
- The new health insurance cards offered to the underprivileged in Punjab are not been entertained by private hospitals.
- Congress strategist Prashant Kishor will soon start the second edition of 80-episode Coffee with Capt that according to him is already gaining momentum.
- Akal Takht Jathedar Giani Gurbachan Singh has called for maintaining calm in Punjab saying issues can be resolved peacefully.
- BJP leader Anil Joshi held a Janta Darbar and received the wish list of people. He added the party wishes to create jobs in Punjab and looked at ways and means of increase hold in state. However, members are worried about the rift between SAD and BJP.
- Former Pakistan T20 skipper Shahid Afridi, 36, wants to make a keep playing international cricket for his meritorious service to Pakistan cricket. He thought there is still a lot he can offer.
- PCB chairman Shahryar Khan has said Pakistan will soon host Afghanistan for a cricket series as PCB desires to bring back international cricket to Pakistan.
- The unstoppable Virat Kohli has made four centuries with experts saying he can exceed the feats of legend Sachin Tendulkar. Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma congratulates.
- In USA, Raptors are preparing for their second game against Cavaliers that will be played tonight at 8:30pm and fans are hopeful they will make a comeback. Raptors lost the first match against them.