SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MAY 24TH 2016
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau concluded his two-day visit of Japan where he held meeting with leading industrialists and CEOs of Honda, Toyota, Subaru, and Fuji. Talking to media, Trudeau said he is in relation-building mode and though there are challenges but opportunities also. Toyota and Honda already have plants in Canada but Subaru has none. The company has announced currently it is not contemplating to expand in Canada. Commenting on his Japan visit, Trudeau further explained though that country has not given any immediate commitment but might invest later. Trudeau also met with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and discussed trade, especially the TPP that was signed by 12 countries. Other topics discussed were investment, education, and regional security as North Korea keeps on testing missiles. Japan also has issues with China. However, on Wednesday Trudeau is doing nothing and will only be celebrating his 11th wedding anniversary on his personal funds. On Thursday and Friday Trudeau will attend G-7.
- To discuss bid for the World Expo 2025, a press conference was held at 9am in City Hall. The city is excited to host it and is ready to take next steps and preparing to bid. The idea already has got approval of Prime Minister Trudeau. The meeting was also attended by former mayors David Peterson and Barbara Hall along with politicians and business leaders.
- In Brampton on the Victoria Day long weekend, police recovered two bodies from a house that were of 47-year-old man and a 41-year-ols woman. The incident took place at Culture Crescent near the intersection of Chinguacousy and Willams Parkway.
- Some forensic experts have said that crash of EgyptAir flight 804 points towards explosion in air but reasons are still unknown. EgyptAir crashed earlier in the Mediterranean Sea a few days killing all 66 people onboard.
- Pakistan’s Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan held a press conference recently and informed media that government cannot confirm Taliban leader Mullah Mansour’s death. He said Mansour is an Afghan national and Pakistan does not have their data but he indicated holding a DNA testing. Hitting hard on USA, he said the drone attack by Americans in Balochistan has violated Pakistan’s sovereignty that is condemnable. When asked that USA attacks its enemies across the globe, Nisar replied this policy of USA will create a battle zone.
- On one hand Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is facing opposition in the Panama Papers leaks, on the other hand Election Commission has given a June 1 notice to Sharif’s son-in-law Capt. Mohammad Safdar asking him why he did not declare his wife Maryam’s assets?
- In Pakistan five former navy officers linked to ISIS get death sentence in the Karachi dockyard attacks on Sept 6, 2014.
- National Assembly in Pakistan has formed a 12-member parliamentary committee to form Terms of Reference (ToR) with six from the ruling party and six from the opposition to probe Panama Papers leaks. The committee will hold its first meeting tomorrow.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh has said Dawood Ibrahim will be arrested soon and did not give any deadline.
- In Assam, BJP forms government; names Sarbananda Sonowal as Chief Minister. The oath taking ceremony was attended by a large number of government officials including several chief ministers. Sonowal pledged to work for all irrespective of their cast and creed. Addressing the ceremony in Assamese Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said Assam will be developed and the government will work with all sections of society.
- Local court in Haryana issues non-bailable warrants against Kurukshetra MP Raj Kumar Saini for allegedly creating rifts between two groups.
- CBI has announced IRs 10 lakhs award for the person who gives information in the Guru Granth Sahib desecration case in Faridkot.
- In India, 13 more cities have been roped in Smart City Plan that includes Faridabad, Dharamsala and Chandigarh.
- In the PSEB results, Simrandeep Kaur, resident of Khadoor Sahib topped the class 10 exams and secured 99.08% marks.
- In the Dhadianwale attack case, Damdami Taksal dera head Baba Harman Singh Dhuma held a press conference saying allegations leveled by Ranjit Singh against him are not right. However, other factions are questioning Punjab police why the main mastermind of the attack has not being caught yet. Police has arrested four and identified 10 others in this case but the mastermind is still at large.
- After winning last night’s match, Toronto Raptors tie series against Cleveland Cavaliers 2-2.
- In IPL today Gujrat Lions are facing Royal Challengers Bangalore. Today’s winner goes to finals, losing side to play for 3rd and 4th position.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.