SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MAY 25TH 2016
COURTESY : IANS
- Former Canadian prime minister Stephen Harper and MP from Calgary Heritage has decided to resign from politics. He has several job offers from the US companies. At a PC convention in Vancouver tomorrow, Harper will address members and make his decision public.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who is in Japan, has taken a day off today to celebrate his 11th wedding anniversary on personal funds. Though the date of his anniversary is 28 May originally, but he has taken break today. Though opposition has criticized as to why the prime minister while on a foreign tour is taking time off for personal leisure, the Liberals have supported Trudeau’s work-life balance approach.
- According to some media reports Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne plans cabinet reshuffle by June 9 and some backbenchers might be given a cabinet position to face the challenge in 2018 elections.
- In Calgary, a court is holding a hearing in the 2014 murders of five university students who were killed by 24-year-old Matthew de Grood. Though he committed this crime but Grood is pleading not guilty. His lawyers have said he acted in this manner as he had a psycho attack and thought was fighting against vampires.
- In Brampton yesterday, two shooting incidents took place. In one incident a 25-year-old boy serious injured. Police is hunting for suspects and informed a Toronto street gang is involved in it. The incident took place at 1pm at Van Kirk Drive. Police noticed a silver four-door Hyundai running away from the scene. The second incident took place at 10pm last night near a house located at Royal Salisbury but no one was injured.
- On Hwy 27 one person got injured seriously when a dump truck collided with a truck. Within 24 hours, one person died in another incident on Hwy 27.
- Environment Canada has reported winters were warm, spring was colder, and summer will be warm above average.
- Afghan Taliban has named 50-year-old Mawlawi Haibatullah Akhundzada as their new leader replacing former chief Mullah Mansour killed in Pakistan recently. Experts think the policies of the new chief will not be different from the last chief’s policies. Meanwhile, a large number of Pakistani political leaders have criticized US drone attack in Balochistan that killed Mansour. Even Pakistan army chief General Raheel has shown concerns on violation of Pakistan’s air space. He summoned Davis Hale, US Ambassador to Pakistan for a meeting in GHQ and protested drone attack. In a revealing report on the planning and murder of Mansour, Wall Street Journal has reported that US intelligence officers were following Mansour and tracing him from Iran where he went to meet his relatives.
- Pakistan will get a US$510 million tranche from IMF.
- Indian President Pranab Mukherjee has invited Chinese entrepreneurs to participate in ‘Make in India’ initiative. He said environment is conducive for business.
- The new agreements signed between India and Iran has US senators questioning why India has done so against international sanctions against Iran. The USA administration has said these developments are being monitored closely.
- Gyandev Ahuja, a BJP lawmaker in Delhi has said in Jawaharlal Nehru University rapes happen every day. The BJP leadership has not commented on this statement.
- BJP has invited Big B at India Gate on May 28 for a celebration to highlight BJP’s achievements in two years. Congress while criticizing has questioned why Big B has been called for the show.
- In Bihar, police has claimed to have solved the case of a journalist’s murder saying they have arrested five suspects.
- In Patiala, AAP leader and Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal met with Ranjit Singh Dhadrianwale. Media wished to ask him some questions regarding this meeting but Kejriwal did not give them any replies. Later he went to Chandigarh and held meeting with his party members. Opposition has denounced Dhadrianwale meetings with politicians and has termed them wrong. Dhadrianwale has said he welcomes everyone but once again urged the government to nab the mastermind.
- Akal Takht is concerned about the rift between Dhadrianwale and Baba Harnam Singh Dhumma of Damdami Taksal and has asked them to resolve issues. However, according to news this meeting does not seem to be happening.
- In Toronto, Raptors fans are all excited for the do and die Game 5 tonight that will be played between Raptors and Cavaliers. The series currently stands at 2-2.
- In an IPL match yesterday, Royal Challengers Bangalore defeated Gujrat Lions and reached finals.
- Today’s IPL match is an eliminator and being played between Sunrisers Hyderabad and Kolkata Knight Riders. The losing team will be out of the tournament.
- Pakistan cricket’s chief selector, Inzamamual Haq has announced 21 players for England tour and axed Ahmed Shehzad and Umar Akmal. He said Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Hafeez will only be part of the team if they get fitness certificates.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.