SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MAY 30TH 2016
1. About 300 firefighters from South Africa have arrived to battle wildfires in Fort McMurray. Amid this it has been announced that some residents will be brought back to the area. Meanwhile, Suncor has announced to start oil production.
2. According to a recent study, every year residents in Canada are getting their land lines disconnecting as they are mostly connected with their cell phones. Since last year about 540,000 land lines have been cut off.
3. A New York Times report shows that companies are trying to recycle or reduce food wastage.
4. Durham police has charged a man for driving and watching a movie at the same time.
5. When police tried to stop a car over the weekend, the man raced it to escape. However, he was finally stopped at arrested at Square One. It is being thought that he might be drunk.
6. ISIS has killed 24 people in Iraq’s Faluja. News is that Iraqi forces are entering Faluja now.
7. PTI chief Imran Khan has said Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is running the country like a kingdom.
8. On the issue of budget passage in Pakistan through video link to encourage new technology, PTI chief Imran Khan has said this is not possible in democracy.
9. A pamphlet published in Karachi denounces foreign control over Sindh’s natural resources and was found near a blast area that targeted Chinese citizens.
10. In attacks and counter-attacks on African nations, an African student died while a Delhi taxi driver got injured. Vikas Swarup, official spokesperson of Indian Ministry of External Affairs has announced thorough investigation will be carried out in the incidents.
11. Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella has said Microsoft’s focus in India is to empower every citizen and organization as India has played a major role in developing softwares. Nadella who is in India these days has said Microsoft intends to improve innovation in India.
12. An AAP splinter group, Swaraj Lehar has formed a 41- member committee under its Punjab convener Prof Manjit Singh to contest the 2017 elections. The party has said the province needs a new party as BJP and SAD have failed to resolve the issues of the province. Congress and AAP, they said do not have any standing also. They also said the group has the support of Swaraj Abhiyan unit but Dr Dharamvira Gandhi and HS Khalsa have denied it.
13. Sunrisers Hyderabd (SRH) best Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) by eight runs in the IPL 2016 final and lifted cup.