SOUTH ASIAN PULSE HEADLINES MAY 4TH 2016
1. Wildfires in Fort McMurray, Alberta have destroyed 80 per cent homes and about 60,000 residents have been asked to evacuate. Police is knocking at doors ensuring people have received the alert. The federal government, Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Toronto Mayor John Tory have offered total support.
2. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was in Ottawa today addressing caucus.
3. According to a Forum Research survey if elections are held today, at the federal level out of the 107 seats, PC party will win 53 seats that is only one less to gain majority; the Liberals will gain 33 seats and NDP just 21. The survey also shows PC leader Patrick Brown has more support than Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne at Queen’s Park.
4. According to a recent report released by Treb, housing prices in GTA increase by 16% in April compared to the same month last year. Buyers will pay over $103,000 more if they have to buy the house today. The price of a detached house in GTA has gone up from $636,094 to 739,082.
5. After heated debates at City Hall, it has been decided to allow UberX to operate legally in Toronto. Regulations for taxis will also be cut down.
6. In Indiana, Donald Trump won against Ted Cruz who quit after this loss while Bernie Sanders defeated Hillary Clinton.
7. Commenting on a video that went viral in Pakistan where some women were being harassed, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has said not only culprits be identified but strict action will be taken against them.
8. PTI chief Imran Khan has said he is postponing his rally in Faisalabad as women protection is a major concern.
9. Pakistan’s Finance Minister Ishaq Dar has conveyed to the US Ambassador in Islamabad as the funding issue has not been resolved for acquiring F-16 fighter jets, Pakistan will look at other fighter aircraft options.
10. Congress-BJP trade barbs in Augusta Westland case. Meanwhile Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has vowed to release the names of accused in front of public.
11. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal says Prime Minister Narendra Modi does not have a Delhi University degree.
12. In the Vyapam scam, CBI has arrested the main accused in Uttar Pradesh.
13. About 12 JeM members are arrested in India because they were planning a massive attack in the country.
14. The centre has told Supreme Court of India decision on floor test in Uttarakhand will be taken within two days.
15. In the Murthal gang rape case, police has given a sealed report to Punjab and Haryana but not to media. When asked police said it was done to protect the identity of victims.
16. Dr Dharamvira Gandhi is back in India after his Toronto tour. During his visit here views of diaspora remained divided as some thought he should stay part of AAP while others supported his ideals.
17. While addressing a gathering in California, shoes and bottles were hurled at Congress leader Capt Amarinder Singh.
18. Efforts are being made to revive Pakistan cricket team. Since 2014, the team won only three matches out of the 10 ODIs due to which in ICC’s ODI rankings Pakistan has fallen to the ninth position.
19. Today Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) is facing Kings XI Punjab (KXIP).