SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES APRIL 6TH 2016
COURTESY : IANS
- Wildfires in Fort McMurray have scorched 100,000 hectares but Highway 63 has been opened now. More and more people are being evacuated while Alberta is still under state of emergency. The Red Cross has announced about $11m have already been donated but more donations are coming in with the government announcing it will match dollar to dollar. The changing wind directions are creating problems for firefighters. The main concern is rebuilding that requires billions of dollars. Called as the biggest disaster in Canadian history, it will increase economic toll.
- Canada’s unemployment rate remains on 7.1% in April.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was in Mississauga yesterday where he attended a fundraising dinner.
- Finance Minister Bill Morneau is in Mississauga to meet Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie to discuss economic activity in the city.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said protesters are not less than terrorists as strikes bring country’s businesses at a standstill and hamper economic growth.
- The Nepalese government has turned down an Indian offer to build Nepal’s second international airport deciding to mobilise its own resources.
- Jet Airways flight in-charge Nidhi Chaphekar, injured in the March 22 Brussels terror attacks, has returned to India and met her two children after six weeks.
- Supreme Court of India has ordered to hold Uttarakhand floor test on May 10.
- In the Augusta Westland case Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and senior leader Dr Manmohan Singh were arrested for a short time but later released. Commenting on the incident Sonia Gandhi said she is not afraid to stand trial on the case as she or Rahul have done nothing wrong.
- The alleged mastermind of 1984 anti-Sikh genocide Jagdish Tytler is seeking apology from Akal Takht. But this news only has been published by a section of press through sources and not directly from Tytler who have also reported that Tytler could not be contacted. Meanwhile, senior Supreme Court lawyer HS Phoolka has announced he will approach the Akal Takht and meet with the Jathedar of Akal Takht sahib to present all the proofs against Tytler showing his involvement in Sikh genocide.
- Manoj Bajpayee starrer movie Traffic released today is getting good response.
- Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis have entered the final of Madrid Open tennis beating unseeded Vania King and Alla Kudryavtseva 6-2, 6-0.
- In the IPL match today Sunrisers Hyderabad takes on Gujarat Lions.
- Former South African and Australian coach Mickey Arthur has been appointed as Pakistan cricket team’s head coach by PCB.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.