SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES AUGUST 17TH 2016
COURTESY : IANS
- In Ottawa, the 61-year-old Member of Parliament Mauril Belanger has died of ALS.
- The city of Toronto has given license to Uber. The decision is being questioned by some quarters while taxi drivers are staging protest today.
- Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar has accepted an invitation given to him by his Pakistani counterpart Aizaz Chaudhry for talks, but clarified the current Jammu and Kashmir situation will not be discussed. He said talks will be on cross border terrorism and other related issues, but no date has not been set for the talks.
- USA has asked both India and Pakistan to resolve their issues as it will greatly benefit the region. It once again has asked Pakistan to do more against terrorism.
- Congress has asked Prime Minister Narendra Modi to refrain from a knee-jerk policy against Pakistan adding it should be a long and sustainable one. The party criticised the prime minister for suddenly reaching Lahore to attend weddings and then talk against that country on another occasion.
- Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal has told media that his government will not issue any new liquor licenses as he has received several complaints from residents. He has warned the exiting owners and managers of liquor shops to prevent all wrong activities around their properties otherwise their licenses will be revoked.
- In Tamil Nadu parliament, the speaker suspended opposition leader MK Stalin for a week while he was protesting against the ruling AIADMK members for passing disrespectful remarks.
- VP Singh Badnore has been appointed the Governor of Punjab.
- Union Minister for Food Processing Harsimrat Kaur Badal today celebrated Rakhi with Border Security Force (BSF) at Attari border.
- Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has given 32 people state medals.
- AAP once again has reiterated its promise if it comes in power in Punjab after the 2017 elections, it will send Badals behind bars.
- Addressing a gathering in Khanna, Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal called AAP a seasonal crop adding it is trying to hijack Punjab politics and has no standing in the state.
- Punjab Congress chief Capt Amarinder Singh has said Badals are behind recent crime incidents in the state including attack on RSS leader Brig Jagdish Gagneja besides drug menace. Former CM Rajinder Kaur Bhattal also pointed towards a number of murder and attack incidents and has asked Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal to apologise to the people. Congress leaders also said AAP leaders are only making false promises to the people of Punjab and only their party will make the next government.
- In cricket rankings, India has displaced Australia as no 1 Test team as Australia loses its recent Test matches against Sri Lanka. This also takes Pakistan on no 2 position. If India wins all its remaining matches against West Indies, it will remain the no 1 Test side, otherwise Pakistan will rise to the top.
- Canada’s Derek Drouin, who is from Ontario, has won a gold medal in high jump at Rio Olympics. This is the third gold for Canada.
- In Women Soccer, Germany defeated Canada 2-0 and advanced to the finals.
- India’s medal hopes have been brightened by shuttler P.V. Sindhu who defeated world no.2 Wang Yihan of China at Rio Olympics and so reaches the semi-finals. If she loses in the semis, she will still have the chance to compete for the third or fourth position.
- In field hockey yesterday Belgium defeated Netherlands 3-1 and Germany lost to Argentina 5-2. Final will be played between Argentina and Belgium. Germany was two-time defending gold medalist.
- Bollywood star Nargis Fakhri has filed a police complaint in Mumbai for been robbed of IRs600,000 by someone in USA in a credit card fraud.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: file_get_contents(http://ipinfo.io/220.127.116.11): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 429 Too Many Requests
in /home/southasiandaily/public_html/wp-content/themes/localnews/footer.php on line 84