SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES DECEMBER 16TH 2016
- Eastern Canada is lashed by weather that has damaged property and there is no electricity. Several accidents have also been reported due to extreme winter weather. In GTA snowfall will continue till tomorrow and 15cm to 20cm snow is expected. But by Saturday the temperature will return to 3 degrees.
- US President Barack Obama has vowed to take action against Russia for its alleged interference in the US presidential election campaign. Meanwhile, Trump has also asked the administration to take action.
- In a first, Indian-American woman has been elected as Mayor of Californian city. Savita Vaidhyanathan is new Mayor of city of Cupertino, globally known for Apple headquarters.
- Thousands of people are being evacuated from Aleppo under a ceasefire deal marking end to years of fighting.
- Pakistan Government inaction against terrorist bodies is a source of concern. This was said by an inquiry commission set-up by the Supreme Court in the aftermath of the August 8 Quetta attack on a hospital in which 74 lawyers died. The opposition, media and even PTI have been criticizing the government for the same. The commission regretted that Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan met on October 21 Maulana Mohammad Ahmed Ludhianvi, head of three banned organisations — Sipah-i-Sahaba Pakistan, Millat-i-Islamia and Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat. The meeting took place in Punjab House situated at Islamabad’s Red Zone. The commission regretted that the interior ministry did not respond to two letters written by the Balochistan government seeking a ban on Jamatul Ahrar and Lashkar-i-Jhangvi Al-Almi after Quetta attack for their involvement in explosions on February 14, 2014, and attacks on a police officer on July 6 and a Frontier Corps vehicle on July 27 this year.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi said today that for Congress party is above nation. Modi also hot hard Indira Gandhi saying she caused huge losses to the country by not implementing demonetisation in 1971. Modi said India should have done it in 1971. Modi referred to former bureaucrat Madhav Godbole’s book in which he has written how Home Minister YB Chavan t that time had recommended demonetisation to curb ill-gotten and hidden wealth but the recommendation was dropped. He said has steps against demonetization taken in 1971, India would not have been in this situation today. He also attacked former prime minister Manmohan Singh that in his 10 years rule he did nothing against corruption and scams so they have to do it. Modi warned the next step would be taken against proxy-owned properties adding people must volunteerily declare their illegal money otherwise it will be seized.
- After personal corruption attack, Rahul Gandhi held meeting with Modi. He met him for seven to eight minutes though Modi had given only 5 minutes. Gandhi said he talked to Modi about the plight of farmers and waiving off their loans. Some Left parties, the Samajwadi Party, Mayawati’s Bahujan Samaj Party, the Nationalist Congress Party headed by Sharad Pawar and the DMK got dismayed and in quick succession dropped out of the protest march to meet the President.
- The IT department has amassed IRs 2900 crore in 586 searches adding more raids will take place in the coming days. It has also announced that money deposited in banks without pin number, will be frozen, owners fined and seven years jail term be awarded.
- Kejriwal and Capt Amarinder are fighting on Twitter. Captain Amarinder Singh hit Kejriwal after his statements on Navjot Singh Sidhu. Kejriwal had said Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal’s misrule Punjab in 10 years Amrinder Singh had promised that he would bring Punjab back on track in the next two months. Kejriwal mocked saying the Capt was not the Chief Ministerial candidate. Kejriwal had said that according to sources, Navjot Sidhu had been promised the role. Capt said Kejriwal finally had the courage to face him, on Twitter at least. Capt said he can understand Kejriwal’s agony on the matter of Navjot Sidhu as it was a case of sour grapes for him.
- Akali Dal has claimed fast paced development in Punjab and announced a new airport in Adampur and some other projects in Mohali.
- On Monday Punjab assembly will hold an emergency session.
- Gurpreet Ghuggi organised road show in Batala and said AAP will win in Punjab in the upcoming elections.
- In the first innings of first Test at Brisbane, Australia has made 429/10, Pakistan is 97/8.
- In Test 5, England has made 284/4 in first innings. India still has to bat.
- India pip Australia to enter final of Hockey Junior World Cup. Both teams secured two goals each in allotted time. But on penalty shootouts India won with 4-2. India takes on Belgium on Sunday in finals.
- Olympic silver medallist PV Sindhu reached semifinals of the BWF World Super Series Final in Dubai on Friday by outsmarting top seed Carolina Marin in two straight sets and took revenge of her loss in Olympics.