SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES JULY 20TH 2016
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Quebec today where he will deliver remarks regarding the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). Middle class families will start getting cheques from today and according to details 90% are expected to benefit. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development also gave details on the same two days back. Under CCB, families with children under the age of six will receive as much as $6,400 per child per year. Families with kids between six and 17 will receive a maximum of $5,400 annually. Families with net income below $30,000 per year will receive the maximum. Families earning more than $200,000 per year will see their payments eliminated.
- Investigators from the Central Robbery Bureau have arrested an outstanding male in relation to the investigation of a series of armed robberies. Rashid Ahmad, a 25-year-old male from Windsor Ontario attended 22 Division Peel Regional Police on July 18, and turned himself in. Rashid Ahmad was charged with robbery, imitation firearm and disguise with intent. The charges are in relation to Project Blue Rock. Peel Regional Police commenced an investigation after a series of home invasion robberies which occurred between October 2014 and December 23, 2015. These acts were vicious and cowardly. In some cases, the accused parties used hand guns, duct tape, zip ties and a taser to assault the victims, which included elderly people and children. It is worth mentioning that Rashid Ahmad used to play cricket so how a sportsman turned a criminal has yet to be determined. Zia Mohammed, the jewellery store owner whose family was targeted talked to YMedia last night and gave details of those events.
- According to Statistics Canada, air travel could have been cheaper in Canada but added fees make it expensive. If the domestic and international travel is combined, travelers can save $248 compared to last year but overall it is not cheap. Earlier baggage fee was not charged but now it is increasing. Due to this most of the airlines are offering less dinner and eatables. The domestic West Jet fare is $250 but added fee make it much more.
- According to Statistics Canada, violent crimes have jumped and attempt to murder are up and is 22% more than last year, but overall crime has declined.
- A woman has alleged that Chatham police while she was in custody asked her to remov her bra. Police force thinks while in custody, females can use bras against others and even themselves. But the woman told the court that she felt bad and the police “made me feel as if I wasn’t a human being.”
- France and USA are planning future coordinated attacks against ISIS. To discuss this French officials including French Defence Minister Jean Yves Le Drian are in USA and will discuss how to enhance those attacks. It is worth mentioning that in the near past three major attacks have been carried out by of ISIS in France.
- After a number of high profile murders, Maryam Nawaz, daughter of PM Nawaz Sharif has told media that Pakistan Muslim League’s (N) government will soon pass the long-delayed legislation against honour killings and announcement is expected within weeks. She said strict actions will be taken against culprits to set an example.
- Can military come to power? This is the question being asked in Pakistan. Even PTI head Imran Khan also said sweets will be distributed if military gains power. Experts are saying a civil-military balance is required along with the country’s foreign policy.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif is still not well and doctors have advised him not to travel anywhere before Sunday.
- BJP leader Dayashanker Singh compared BSP chief Mayawati to a prostitute. BJP has removed him from all party positions. Mayawati has said Dayashanker must be arrested, otherwise nationwide demonstrations will commence.
- Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi was criticized for taking nap in the parliament.
- Delhi High Court will start hearing in the Sajjan Kumar case regarding 1984 riots.
- Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal has said Navjot Sidhu is known for dramatics and if he joins AAP, one more comedian will be added in that party’s pack. Sukhbir Badal also added that Sidhu as AAP’s chief ministerial candidate will add masala to politics. He said in the midst of comedians how can AAP help the people of Punjab?
- Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal has said of the 94 seats, candidates for 60 seats have been decided and they are already working in their constituencies. He said they party is changing 30-40 candidates at this time. He also denied that there was any friction between SAD and BJP saying issues between Madan Mohan Mittal and Vijay Sampla have been amicably resolved.
- Punjab Chief Minister Prakash Singh Badal has said he has not received any resignation from Navjot Kaur Sidhu. He will act once he receives it.
- Indian hockey player Mohammed Shahid, 56, died today in Gurgaon hospital after multiple organ failure. Sports fraternity including Dhanraj Pillay and current hockey captain Sreejesh mourned his untimely death.
- Russia has said if its athletes are ousted from Rio Olympics, the whole system of Olympics will collapse and these games have no meaning in the coming days.
- India will take on West Indies in first game of the four-match Test tomorrow. India has won both previous series with a 1-0 margin. India team will be headed by Virat Kohli. The Indian squad will play with six batsmen and five bowlers. West Indies will also try to win. Statistics show that since 2002 West Indies has not won any Test against India.