SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES: MARCH 8TH 2016
1. Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship John McCallum announces today that Canada will welcome a greater number of immigrants in 2016 – with special emphasis on family reunification.
2. Shahbaz Taseer, abducted son of slain former Punjab governor Salman Taseer has been freed from Balochistan’s Kuchlak area by security forces, five years after he was kidnapped by unidentified gunmen from Lahore.
3. Maria Sharapova admits she failed a dope test at the Australian Open and was provisionally suspended – thus losing two sponsors while a third suspended promotions with her.
4. Iran today test-fired several ballistic missiles in ongoing military drills attended by the senior commanders of the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps.
5. Over 150 militants associated with the Al Qaeda-linked militant group Al-Shabaab have been killed in a US-led airstrike in Somalia.
6. In India opposition leaders are demanding to register a case against HRD Minister Smriti Irani and payment of compensation to the bereaved family whose member died in an accident.
7. Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has said corruption does not exist in Narendra Modi government.
8. A delegation of Patidar community leaders along with BJP MP from Porbandar Vitthal Radadiya called on Chief Minister Anandiben Patel and state BJP president Vijay Rupani and handed over a 27-point charter of demands to them.
9. Congress president Sonia Gandhi has urged the government to focus on passage of Women’s Reservation Bill in parliament that seeks to reserve one-third legislative seats in the country for women.
10. Superstar Shah Rukh Khan, gearing up for the release of Fan, has offered a job to one of his real life fans for creating his own version of the film’s trailer.
11. India skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni who hit big during the final of Asia Cup in has said he would continue to play the role of a finisher in the upcoming World Twenty20 cricket tournament.