SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES MAY 3RD 2016
- A discussion on Uber is being held at Toronto City Hall with some sectors suggesting the service can be ousted from the city if bigger fees are levied.
- Since yesterday Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been attending various events in Toronto along with Prince Harry.
- RCMP has settled a sexual harassment case against its own staff member.
- Police is investigating who is involved in the Mississauga car kidnapping.
- Peel police is looking for two suspects who are involved in a store theft in Brampton on gun point. Both are thought to be of East Indian origin and between the age brackets of 20 to 25. One is 5 ft 8 inches tall while the other is 5ft 10 inches.
- Hate crimes are increasing in Brampton and Mississauga.
- Abu Sayyaf in Philippines has released a video on the beheading of Canadian John Ridsdel.
- A Canadian has been expelled from Nepal for releasing political tweets.
- The world celebrates the International Press Freedom Day today.
- Supreme Court in India has asked the central government to consider a floor test in Uttarakhand that is under President’s Rule to ascertain the legislative strength of ousted chief minister Harish Rawat.
- A parliamentary panel has expressed its displeasure over non-conclusion on the sale of 36 Rafale jet fighters deal.
- The BJP has accused Kanishka Singh, a close friend of Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi, of being involved in the Agusta Westland.
- According to a US Congress-mandated watchdog report religious freedom in India is subjected to growing violent threats.
- Saarc for the first time will try to ensure the rights of their migrant workers who go to the Gulf and Malaysia during a meeting that is starting today in Nepal.
- Pakistan has opposed a military option to resolve the Afghan conflict as it brought no results in the 14 long years as stated by Sartaj Aziz, Adviser to Pakistani Prime Minister on Foreign Affairs. He gave these comments after Afghan President Ashraf Ghani pressed Islamabad to take military action against Afghan Taliban.
- India men’s hockey team captain Sardar Singh has said doing well against top teams during Champions Trophy in London in the lead-up to the Olympics.
- Sachin Tendulkar has also been roped in by the Indian Olympic Association’s (IOA) as goodwill ambassador for the 2016 Olympics at Rio de Janeiro.