SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES NOVEMBER 18TH 2016
COURTESY : IANS
- Inflation in Canada has jumped up to 1.5% despite cheaper food items. The reason for this is rising oil prices.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is in Argentina to promote trade. He has said that both countries have common goals.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will travel to Liberia and attend the XVI Summit of La Francophonie in Madagascar soon.
- In Alberta, MLA Sandra Jansen left PC party and has joined NDP.
- In Ottawa-Vanier by-elections, Liberal party’s Des Rosiers defeated André Marin of PC party.
- In Niagara West-Glanbrook by-elections, 19-year-old Sam Oosterhoff of PC won and has become the youngest MPP.
- The Peel garbage collectors strike has ended and so garbage will be picked up over the weekend.
- There is no change in the 107-seat Ontario legislature. Liberals have 58 seats , PC 29 and NDP 20.
- A man was shot at multiple times in Brampton on Morton Way, a subdivision around Steeles Avenue and McLaughlin Road was in a life-threatening condition and was taken to the Toronto trauma hospital. Police is investigating.
- A young Brampton man was stabbed in his house on McMurchy Avenue and Charolais Boulevard and was taken to hospital in serious condition. Police have called the attack an isolated incident.
- In Pakistan lawyer Hamid Khan has refused to fight the case for PTI or represent the party in Supreme Court.
- A study shows in India 60.4 per cent people are without access to toilet while in Pakistan 41 million.
- On the issue of demonitisation, Parliament session was once again adjourned. The Supreme Court has said nationwide strikes can start if hurdles in this respect continue. But the government says it will continue with this drive with Finance Minister Arun Jaitley commenting the move will grow the economy. The government has rubbished some rumours that said lockers and jewellery will be seized saying it is not true.
- It has been announced that senior citizens can exchange their money even after due date and petrol stations can also accept old notes for now. The demonitisation move has brought real estate prices down. Also long queues outside ATMs have reduced as those who receive money, their fingers are being inked like during elections.
- AAP leader Kejriwal has alleged Modi has lost contact with people. In an interview to a private TV channel, he called demonitisation a wrong move that is not helping people.
- About IRs91 lakhs was seized from the car of Maharashtra Cooperative Minister Subhash Deshmukh. Defending his position the minister said the money is genuine and he can provide its receipts.
- For UP elections, it has been reported that Priyanka Gandhi will work for her party, Congress.
- Former jail minister Sarwan Singh Phillaur has joined Congress after resigning from SAD in protest for being denied assembly ticket by the Akalis. He has said he was not happy with the way he was treated and alleged wrong people have joined the party. He said the principles on which the party was formed about 40 years, are not being followed. Party members have relations with mafia and drug dealers. He said no proper investigations are held especially against Majithia who is leading the pack. On complaints EC questions Majithia as a formality. He said he has been targeted as he belongs to a poor family and his father was a farmer.
- Akali Dal’s Chief Parliamentary Secretary Avinash Chander has resigned from the post for not being given party ticket to fight in upcoming elections.
- AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal will hold 21 rallies in Punjab between November 20-30.
- The Kabbadi tournament held in Indian Punjab is being deemed successful. India won both men’s and women’s tournaments.
- In first Test Pakistan dismissed for 133 all out. New Zealand in reply has made 104/3. This is Misbahul Haq’s 50th match as captain.
- In the second Test, India has made 455/10 in the first innings against England. England is 103/5.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: file_get_contents(http://ipinfo.io/126.96.36.199): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 429 Too Many Requests
in /home/southasiandaily/public_html/wp-content/themes/localnews/footer.php on line 84