SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES NOVEMBER 21ST 2016
1. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has wrapped APEC summit. Trade and Trump dominated APEC summit. Trudeau said he looks forward to welcoming Trump to Canada.
2. Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra and Punjabi films’ superstar Amrinder Gill were in Brampton and Toronto. Giving interview to YMedia, Priyanka Chopra said there is no rivalry between her and Anushka Sharma. It is only created by the media.
3. Sikh Motorcycle Club of Ontario held a successful gala night over the weekend.
4. Punjabi movie Phillauri releasing next year in March, starring Diljit Dosanjh is being produced by Anushka Sharma.
5. Police is search for a missing 22-year-old male Jasdeep Parhar and has asked the community to share any news regarding him.
6. Peel Regional Police Community Stakeholder Input Report shows highest ever community support. However, the report has been questioned by many sectors.
7. Jas Johal wins PC party candidature from Brampton-North.
8. Pakistan’s army chief Raheel Sharif has started farewell visits unlike popular belief he might not leave.
9. Former Pakistani president Asif Ali Zardari has vowed to return to Pakistan soon saying he has no problem in doing so.
10. On the issue of demonetization, Rajya Sabha’s session was adjourned amidst heavy sloganeering once again.
11. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has informed that more than IRs5 lakh crore have been deposited in banks in just 10 days. He said this is give boost to economy and bring down inflation and interest rates.
12. AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal has asked the government not to loan IRs5 lakh crore to big corporates but use it for welfare of common man.
13. Bihar’s Chief Minister Nitish Kumar has said great sentiment is seen in favour of notes ban by people and politicians should respect it. He said Modi is riding a tiger very bravely.
14. Farmers can still use old IRs500 notes to buy seeds from the government outlets. Reserve Bank of India has announced those who have under IRs 1 crore can return that money within 60 days.
15. India’s Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has said India wants cordial ties with neighbours but not at the cost of national security.
16. Toll in Kanpur train derailment has risen to 142. On one hand rescue work continues while on the other Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu has said a probe will be held and culprits be punished.
17. NIA in India has started removing online contents of Zakir Naik’s foundation and holding raids on its offices. There is already a five-year ban on him.
18. Eight IAF jets touched down on the opening of Agra-Lucknow Expressway. It is slated to be India’s longest highway and cut travel time from nine hours to only four hours. The highway is 305 km long and was completed in record 23 months. It will also help Delhi and UP. A number of leaders were also present on the occasion.
19. Bains Brothers have made poll alliance with AAP. APP will fight at 112 seats while Bains Brothers have settled for five seats. Talking on the occasion they said both the Akalis and Congress have destroyed Punjab. AAP’s Sanjay Singh and Gurpreet Ghuggi were also present. When asked by media why AAP is making an alliance with a aprty after it announced it will not, Ghuggi replied the party did not wish to make alliance earlier as no good party was in sight but alliance with this party is the right decision as both political parties re on the same journey so why two different cars are required.
20. Sanjay Singh has said Bhagwant Mann will defeat Sukhbir Badal in Jalalabad.
21. The members of fourth front – Navjot Sidhu or Pargat Singh still have made no decision which side to go but it is being reported that Pargat Singh might join Congress.
22. Congress leader Capt Amarinder has said Sidhu and Pargat should decide fast as elections are round the corner. However, these moves will make no difference to Congress.
23. AAP leader Kejriwal during a Bathinda rally has alleged that Captain Amarinder Singh was broke in 2002 before he became the chief minister. Within three years his wife and son opened accounts in Swiss banks. He also said when Captain was chief minister, he did not arrest Majithia and even opposed his CBI enquiry. He also alleged Badals gave clean chit to Captain last month. He once again dared the rulers to stop his and announced Majithia should start counting reverse counting.
24. Food Processing Minister Harsimrat Badal has slammed AAP saying they do not have 117 candidates but only 112. She said whoever is not getting ticket from Akali Dal is either forming a new party or AAP. However, Akali is not affected by such moves.
25. Akali Dal has alleged that AAP leader Bhagwant Mann is being made a scapegoat as Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal will win. The reason for this is that AAP is annoyed with him and so he is deliberately being brought in front of Jalalabad. SAD also alleged that this will end Mann’s political career. Hitting back Mann said Sukhbir Badal should be worried about his own political career and not his as he made his own, while Sukhbir’s career was made by his father.
26. In the second Test India beat England by 246 runs and lead series 1-0. India batting first made 455 and 204 in the first and the second innings. England in reply could only make 255 and 158. The main highlight of the match was Kohli’s brilliant batting and spinners’ best bowling. Ashwin’s bowling is worth mentioning.
27. In the first Test New Zealand beat Pakistan by eight wickets. Pakistan made 133 and 171 in the first and the second innings. New Zealand in reply made 200 and 108/2 and so lead series 1-0.
28. Pakistan Captain Misbahul Haq has been suspended for one Test for over-rate offence. He will also pay 40% of match fee.
29. PV Sindhu wins China Open Super Series title. Prime Minister Modi congratulated her.