SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES OCTOBER 28TH 2016
1. Diwali is being celebrated at Parliament Hill and several government officials are attending it.
2. Finance Minister Bill Morneau is addressing Toronto Region Board of Trade today.
3. Belgium has finally backed Canada-EU trade deal.
4. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development and John McCallum, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship will visit India soon.
5. Arrest warrants for Sheikh Rashid and Imran Khan have been issued as police gathers outside Khan’s house in Bani Gala. Imran has questioned the government if Pakistan is a kingdom?
6. Punjab chief minister Shahbaz Sharif vows to file defamation suit of Rs26.5 billion against PTI chief Imran Khan for leveling ‘baseless accusations’ against him.
7. Imran Khan’s protest plans make Pakistan Stock Market face losses worth $3.5 billion.
8. Pakistan’s former president Pervez Musharraf in an interview to an Indian TV channel has said that JeM Chief Masood Azhar is a ‘terrorist’ but he did not comment on Hafiz Saeed. Musharraf accepted Pakistan’s diplomatic efforts failed on international front post surgical strikes. But he added Pakistan is trying to have good relations with India and hopes India will reciprocate also.
9. A report says that Pakistan risks global isolation in purchasing defence technology. Over the long term, Pakistan may be unable to access the most advanced weapons systems in the global marketplace. Instead, it may have little choice but to continue to rely on Chinese and possibly Russian military systems, which may or may not be the most appropriate for Pakistan’s defence needs. American military aid accounted for 21 per cent of Pakistan’s defence spending between 2002-2015, allowing the country to maintain high levels of military spending while easing the burden on its federal budget and overall economy.
10. Four militants belonging to Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and linked to the attack on Pakistan police academy have been killed by police in Quetta.
11. Police has said the 29-year-old Brisbane bus driver Manmeet Alisher stood no chance after a passenger threw an incendiary setting him alight and killing him. Police has said there is nothing to suggest the attack was racially motivated. Other six passengers on the bus were taken to hospital suffering smoke inhalation and minor injuries. A 48-year-old man, described by police as “compliant”, was arrested at the scene and a murder investigation is underway.
12. Indian call centres have stolen US$300 million from Americans by telling them the calls are from IRS – American revenue department and they must pay their taxes. Indian police has arrested around 70 people in this regard in Ahmedabad. A similar scam was unearthed in Mumbai where a large call centre was looting Canadians under the garb of CRA.
13. Indian Supreme Council has said it is impossible to define misuse of religion in electioneering.
14. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi will go to Japan on November 11 and countering China will be one of the points on his agenda.
15. AAP has said in the upcoming Punjab elections, it will win 85 seats, Congress 25, SAD-BJP alliance five and the rest just two. SAD says all these surveys are wrong.
16. Sidhu-AAP talks in Delhi have remained ‘inconclusive’ and so Sidhu has started talking with Congress. But both, Sidhu or AAP are not sharing any details with the media.
17. Sucha Singh Chhotepur has alleged that Kejriwal’s wife will be chief ministerial face in Punjab though Kejriwal in an interview to Tribune had clarified that he or his wife will not contest. His wife is only touring with him to take care of his medicines. But Chhotepur says Sunita Kejriwal will be brought in through backdoor entry as Kejriwal does not trust Punjabis.
18. Ex-cop Pinki has joined National Freedom Party saying he will participate in the upcoming Punjab elections. National Freedom Party has announced to fight elections with Chhotepur.
19. India and New Zealand will play the fifth ODI on Saturday. The series stands equal at 2-2.
20. In Asian Champions Trophy Hockey, the two semifinals will be played between India and South Korea and Pakistan and Malaysia on Saturday. Winners will contest in finals on Sunday.
21. Two major Indian movies are released today – Shivaay and Ae Dil Hai Mushkil.
22. Ae Dil Hai Mushkil crosses IRs32 crores on opening day and has taken a lead over Shivaay that grossed IRs28 crores.