SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES OCTOBER 31ST
COURTESY : IANS
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has finally signed the Canada-EU trade deal.
- 2. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is appointing six new senators for Ontario that also includes former Scotiabank CEO Sarabjit Marwah who is of South Asian origin.
- Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Minister John McCallum is expected to reveal new policy on immigrants today revolving around increasing the number of immigrants to Canada as the country has a large aging population and growing labour gaps. This year the target was to permit 300,000 newcomers to the country but the Liberal government’s economic growth advisory council has recommended increasing immigration levels to 450,000 people a year over the next five years that is 50% increasing. McCallum has said the target is ambitious but the government will substantially increase this number. While at the Channel Y studios, he said changes will be made on the issues of spouses, students, and how to attract more businessmen. He also informed he is leaving for India. He will reach New Delhi, will go to Chandigarh and also visit the Golden Temple. He will look at the immigration matters in India and try to bring changes at the Chandigarh embassy.
- Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Economic Development is also going to India.
- Diwali and Bandi Chorr celebrations continue in GTA after they were held at the Parliament Hill over the weekend.
- Barack Obama lights diya in Oval office to celebrate last Diwali as US President.
- Latest polls show that Trump is now just one point behind Clinton. The email issue is hurting her position.
- Police shot rubber bullets and tear gas PTI protesters in Bani Gala, Islamabad. Containers are blocking roads. Opposition has criticised the government crackdown against PTI but the PML (N)’s government has said to stop the capital’s siege, all pre-emptive efforts will be taken into account. IHC has already ordered PTI to hold protest at only designated places. PTI chief Imran Khan has said he will challenge the decision in Supreme Court.
- Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has said Information Minister Pervaiz Rasheed was removed as he did not make any attempt to stop the Dawn story. Meanwhile, Maryam Aurangzeb has been appointed as the new Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Mann ki Baat asked people to dedicate this Diwali to jawans. He spent time with the ITBP jawans in Himachal Pradesh on this eve.
- AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal has alleged that judges’ phones are being tapped. BJP has denied it. Recently, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi had said load on judiciary must be reduced.
- Simi under trial terrorists were shot dead in encounter after Bhopal jailbreak.
- Punjab will celebrate ‘No Tobacco Day’ on November 1.
- AAP national convener Arvind Kejriwal has told party candidates not to take the party ticket for granted, adding the nominees can be changed if found wanting in the run-up to the Assembly elections in Punjab.
- Talks between AAP and Navjot Singh Sidhu are stuck at the issue of Deputy Chief Minister that AAP is not agreeing.
- India wins Asian Hockey champions 3-2 from Pakistan. India’s Rupinder Pal Singh was named the Best Player for making most goals.
- In the second Test, Bangladesh defeated England by 108 runs. Bangladesh made 220 and 296 in the first and the second innings. England in reply scored 244 and 164respectively. The series is tied at 1-1.
- The third Test between Pakistan and West Indies is underway at Sharjah Cricket Stadium. Pakistan in first innings has made 281. West Indies is 244/6. Pakistan leads series by 2-0. Pakistan also swept the T20 and ODIs against West Indies.
- Palpreet Singh has been selected 11th in the fourth Round of the NBA D-League Draft held in New York. The 21-year old and 6ft nine inches tall player has been taken in by the Long Island Nets, affiliate team of the NBA’s Brooklyn Nets. Before him Satnam Singh, who became the first Indian to be drafted into the NBA was selected 52nd overall by the Dallas Mavericks in the 2015 NBA Draft, and represents the Texas Legends, the minor league affiliate of the Dallas Mavericks.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.