SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES OCTOBER 7TH 2016
1. According to a Statistics Canada report, Canada’s economy added 67,000 jobs in September but the unemployment rate remains the same at seven per cent. The surge was seen in the services sector that added 56,000 new jobs and manufacturing and construction each added 6,000 jobs. Meanwhile, education employment jumped by 17,000 in the month.
2. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau this morning joined Thomson Reuters as it announced to expand and create 400 jobs. He was joined by Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne, Toronto Mayor John Tory, and Jim Smith, President and Chief Executive Officer of Thomson Reuters. In the evening Trudeau will be in Markham.
3. Toronto Blue Jays defeat Texas Rangers 10-1 in Game 1. Also the Grammy Award winner Adele performed in Toronto wearing a Blue Jays jersey.
4. The howling winds of the devastating Hurricane Matthew is blowing at 185 km per hour and bashing Florida. In Haiti about 480 people died due to it.
5. State Department Spokesperson John Kirby has said the US does not support declaring Pakistan a ‘terrorist state’ but USA will continue to work with the governments in the region to eliminate safe havens. He also said USA wishes India-Pakistan to resolve their issues through dialogue.
6. India’s Finance Minister Arun Jaitley is in USA where he met with the officials of IMF and World Bank. He said India decided to stay away from Saarc, as Pakistan is linked to “every terrorist incident” in the world. India will only commence talks with it once it cracks down on terrorism. Also Pakistan cannot use the nuclear card to blackmail India. On surgical strikes he said they were pre-emptive strikes against terrorism.
7. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for ending a 50-year civilian war in which thousands died.
8. Pakistan’s former ambassador to US and senior politician Sherry Rehman has hit the government’s foreign policy hard saying the government must reply why the country has been pushed towards international isolation.
9. DG ISPR Asim Bajwa has informed Communication channels between Pakistani and Indian militaries open.
10. Home Minister Rajnath Singh has said India will fully seal its border with Pakistan by 2018.
11. IMF has said India’s decision to levy GST is a major reform and will benefit medium-term growth.
12. AAP has released names of seven more candidates for Goa assembly elections. Therefore, out of the 40 seats, AAP already have 11 candidates in place.
13. AAP has released its 3rd list of 29 new candidates for Punjab assembly. From Bholath, Sukhpal Singh Khaira and from Kharar Kanwar Sandhu have been included.
14. Congress leader Capt Amarinder Singh has said they support army action but the Akali decision to evacuate villages was wrong.
15. Punjab chief minister Parkash Singh Badal has said both Kejriwal and Capt Amarinder Singh have no clue about the state’s security and so should not talk about it.
16. MLA Simrat Singh Bains.has informed talks with Congress are on but final decision of joining then has still not been taken.
17. Programme ‘Keeping Up With the Kardashians’ has been allegedly put on hold after Kim Kardashian was robbed and held at gunpoint in Paris over the weekend.