SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 19TH 2016
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today met with Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah and co-chaired with her a roundtable on International Action and Cooperation on Refugees and Migrants: The Way Ahead. Trudeau will also deliver a keynote address at the Global Compact Luncheon. He will participate in a live interview with BuzzFeed News later.
- As MPs return in the House of Commons, the Liberal government will try to reset the button and the responsibility largely lies with Bardish Chagger, the newly appointed Liberal House leader and is tasked with taking ahead government’s agenda. Chagger has said she will bring the new perspective and tone to the house leaders’ office.
- According to the Forum Research in Ontario PC is leading with 45% support of people, Liberal stand at 25% and NDP 23%.
- In USA police has identified the Manhattan attacker as 28-year-old Afghan national Ahmad Khan Rahami. New York governor has said international terrorism in this attack cannot be ruled out. About 29 people got injured in this attack.
- Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has arrived in New York for the UN General Assembly session where he will raise the issue of Kashmir. He will also urge the world to enforce UN resolutions for a plebiscite in Kashmir. Meanwhile, Sharif’s Advisor on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz is at NAM summit to raise the same issue there.
- In Uri attack, 18 soldiers killed and 19 got injured. All four terrorists were killed. India has said it will provide proof of the attack to Pakistan and the international community and talk about it at the global level. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said culprits will not be spared. President Hamid Ansari has called the act as acceptable. Kashmir’s Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti has said the attack was carried out to increase violence in the valley. Home Minister Rajnath Singh is reviewing security arrangements.
- Opposition in India is hitting the BJP government hard after Uri attack. Congress has said Modi talked big against Pakistan on the election trail so where is that muscle man image now? RJD chief Lalu Prasad has also said on one side Indian soldiers are dying and Modi is only involved in mere talk. AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal has condemned Uri attack and questioned Modi’s diplomatic efforts.
- In wake of Uri attack, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has chaired a high level meeting to review security situation in the country.
- One more soldier has died in Delhi hospital taking the Uri attack toll to 18.
- In the backdrop of Uri attack Lt Gen Ranbir Singh has said Indian army will respond at the right time and at the right place.
- Pakistan army chief General Raheel Sharif has said military is ready to meet any direct or indirect threats to the country.
- Baloch leader Brahumdagh Bugti has said he is seeking official asylum in India within a week as he cannot return to Pakistan.
- A man threw ink on Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia when he was going to meet Lt Governor Najeeb Jung.
- On the issue of AAP’s advertisement, Piyush Pandey of a panel appointed by the Information and Broadcasting Ministry has said Delhi government should reimburse to the state exchequer the entire amount that the party spent on its ad campaign. The party was charged by opposition of violating Supreme Court guidelines. AAP has denied the allegations.
- Akali Dal is saying the next election will be won on the agenda of development but the finance department has sent back bills worth IRs3300 crore because of non-availability of funds in treasury. This has media talking of Punjab’s financial health.
- Former BC premier Ujjal Dosanjh, who was in Jalandhar to promote his autobiography, Journey After Midnight, said NRIs are losing hope in AAP due to troubles in the party.
- Game of Thrones won 12 Emmy Awards over the weekend. Canadian Tatiana Maslany was awarded for Outstanding Lead Actress in a drama series. Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra was praised for her red dress on red carpet.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.
Warning: file_get_contents(http://ipinfo.io/188.8.131.52): failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 429 Too Many Requests
in /home/southasiandaily/public_html/wp-content/themes/localnews/footer.php on line 84