SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 26TH 2016
- Chinese Premier Li Keqiang has said China and Canada have agreed to strengthen their ties in all fields such as economic, trade and other areas. The two countries have started talks for a free trade agreement. These comments were made in a joint press conference in the presence of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
- The royal couple – Duke and Duchess of Cambridge William and Kate are in Vancouver today. Not only the people but Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his wife Sophie Grégoire gave them a warm welcome. They will visit BC rain forest today.
- The Texas Mall shooting injured seven. The gunman was also shot dead.
- In the latest Bloomberg Politics national poll, Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are tied closely as Trump got 43% votes to Clinton’s 41%. Clinton faces higher expectations as tens of millions of people will watch an all important debate between them that could reach Super Bowl viewership levels.
- Abdul Basit, Pakistani Ambassador to India has said Pakistan is positive about future ties with India. He said living in Delhi and meeting people from all walks of life, he has seen people have a desire for understanding and peace here and same is the case across the border where people wish both the countries to come together and work together. He said Pakistan and India would not gain anything from creating problems as war is not a solution.
- Sartaj Aziz, Adviser to Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Foreign Affairs, has asked for an international probe into the Uri attack. In an interview with BBC Urdu Service he said an independent international commission should be constituted for fact finding. He said India has leveled baseless allegations on Pakistan.
- Speaking at the United Nations General Assembly, Sushma Swaraj, Minister of External Affairs of India, while replying to Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said India has never set any condition for dialogues but has only tried to strengthen ties, but in return has got Pathankot, Uri, Bahadur Ali. She said countries have to come together to fight the scourge of terrorism and if some country is not willing then it must be isolated. She also talked about biggest human rights violation in Balochistan. Swaraj said Kashmir is an integral part of India and Pakistan must stop dreaming about it. She also said those who live in glass house should not throw stones at others. She said the terror apparatus that was behind 26/11 was also behind Uri. She also highlighted her government’s achievements in child education, girl’s education, sanitation and bank account for the poor.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has chaired a meeting on Indus Waters treaty and said blood and water cannot run together.
- A youth hurled a shoe on Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi during a roadshow.
- Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has urged both, India Pakistan to maintain peace.
- In Buxar, a youth threw his degrees on Punjab Chief Minister Parkash saying if the government cannot offer them any jobs, what is the use of those degrees?
- Awaaz-e-Punjab leaders haves said their only agenda in the upcoming Punjab Assembly elections is a ‘Badal-mukt Punjab’ and are open to an alliance with the Congress or AAP. Forum leaders Navjot Singh Sidhu, Pargat Singh, Balwinder Singh Bains and Simarjit Singh Bains held a meeting at Navjot’s house in New Delhi recently. Simarjit said in view of the current situation in Punjab, they did not float a political party and divide the anti-incumbency vote that would have helped Shiromani Akali Dal.
- A court has ordered to deferred hearing of Dera Sacha Sauda Chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim’s 1999 rape case to October 4.
- Suspended AAP MP Dr Dharamvira Gandhi’s meeting to gather all stakeholders of the fourth front today received a lukewarm response. Navjot Singh Sidhu and Bains brothers did not attend the meeting. Pargat Singh came from Awaaz-e-Punjab, but clarified he was there in his individual capacity. Dr Gandhi told media said he had contacted Bains brothers and Sidhu but they did not respond. Sucha Singh Chhotepur was represented by HS Kingra. Other state-level leaders of the Left parties were not there also. Dr Gandhi stressed the state requires a genuine regional political party as Akali Dal had betrayed Punjab, while AAP and the Congress had compromised the state’s interests and he will work to build an alternative.
- Ten days after the first international flight started for Sharjah, the Mohali international airport will commence flights for Dubai tomorrow.
- India has won the first Test against New Zealand by 197 runs. A six-wicket haul by R. Ashwin helped India achieve success in its 500th Test today, and lead series by 1-0 in the three Test series against New Zealand. The guests had made 262/10 and 236/10. In reply India made 318/10 and 377 for five declared.
- Pakistan has won the T20 series against West Indies in Dubai. Over the weekend it won the second T20 also against West Indies by 16 runs after winning the first match by nine wickets. The third and last T20 will be played in Dubai tomorrow.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.