SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES SEPTEMBER 30TH 2016
1. According to Statistics Canada, the country’s GDP grew by 0.5% in July for the second month and dollar has strengthened also. The main contributors have been the food industry, tourism and even manufacturing sector.
2. Canadian delegation including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, former prime ministers Jean Chretien and Stephen Harper, Foreign Affairs Minister Stephane Dion and Opposition leader Rona Ambrose have landed in Israel for Shimon Peres’ funeral along with other world leaders. US President Obama and former president Bill Clinton are already there.
3. Two more candidates – Richard Starke and Donna Kennedy-Glans have entered Alberta PC leadership race.
4. One of the largest Brampton developers has sued the city a $20 million lawsuit. Earlier another developer entered into a legal battle worth $28.5 million.
5. Sri Lanka has also pulled out of the Saarc meeting. Earlier Bangladesh, Bhutan, Afghanistan and India had stepped back.
6. India’s surgical strikes have been supported by Afghanistan and Bangladesh.
7. The US government has said India’s surgical strikes were measured but the neighbours must defuse tension through discussion. US Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton has said she fears Pakistan’s nuclear weapons might go in the hands of jihadis.
8. Pakistan’s Defence Minister Khawaja Asif in a statement had said that his country also has nuclear weapons. The US administration has said countries that have nuclear weapons must give statements carefully.
9. Pakistani Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif has said that cross border firing still continues but Pakistan is ready to face any eventuality. He once again denied that India carried out any surgical strike against Pakistan.
10. Home Minister Rajnath Singh will ask Pakistan for the release of an Indian soldier in the custody of Pakistan. Meanwhile, a national level alert has been issued.
11. Indian films have been taken down in Pakistani cinemas after Pakistani artists were sent back to Pakistan from India.
12. PTI Chief Imran Khan holds rally plus in Lahore at Raiwind adding people should be given justice in wake of the Panama Leaks against the ruling party. He added he is not against the country or and party but is trying to eliminate corruption from the country.
13. Congress Vice-President Rahul Gandhi has also appreciates Prime Minister Modi and Indian army.
14. Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal put off a major revelation he promised to make today in the wake of the Indian surgical strikes on Pakistani. He appreciated Modi and the Indian army.
15. All the leaders in the National Assembly hailed the Indian army saying it created history with surgical attacks on Pakistan adding India is one and they will always support their country. The slogans of Bharat Mata Ki Jai were also raised.
16. Mohammad Shahabuddin has been sent to jail as his bail ended. He has said Bihar chief minister Nitish Kumar will be taught a lesson.
17. Bollywood actor Salman Khan has said Pakistani artists are not terrorists and in fact appreciated them. He also said the film industry should to stay away from politics. Amid MNS threats Fawad, Khan and Mahira Khan left India. While concerts of Atif Aslam and Shafqat Amanat Ali have been cancelled.
18. Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has said residents of 987 border villages have been evacuated following India’s surgical strike. IRs 1 crore each has been sanctioned for border districts to ensure relief material.
19. Residents of Gurdaspur and Firozpur do not want an India-Pakistan war as they suffered a lot during the 1965 and 1971 wars.
20. In Chandigarh Congress would be able to form an alliance with Awaaz-e-Punjab and discussions are on seats. Earlier Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Badal had said Sidhu is trying to trade seats like a businessman.
21. Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal held a meeting with Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale’s family including Bhindranwale’s brothers Capt Harcharan Singh Rode and Harjit Singh, nephew Jasbir Singh Roda, a former Akal Takht Jathedar. Agriculture Minister Jathedar Tota Singh and other Akali leaders also accompanied Sukhbir. Sukhbir said his party is seeking the family’s help in the upcoming assembly elections. Meanwhile, some Sikh organisations showed black flags to Sukhbir during his address at the village stadium. They said the SAD-BJP government has failed to arrest anti-social elements.
22. India made 239/7 as openers did not deliver. Though Gautam Gambhir was dropped for Shikhar Dhawan but he was ousted on one run. Cheteshwar Pujara and Ajinkya Rahane added 200 runs to the score.
23. In the first ODI against West Indies Pakistan has made 263/6 till now.
24. Critics are giving bad reviews for Bollywood movie MS Dhoni: The Untold Story.