Investigators from the 22 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau are looking for assistance in identifying any witnesses or locating potential victims involving a man in an SUV engaging in similar type harassment incidents in the City of Brampton.
On Monday, February 14, 2022, at approximately 7:35 a.m., a 15-year-old female was walking to her school bus pick up area near Chinguacousy Road and Mayfield Road when a man in a vehicle approached her. It is alleged that the man asked the female if she wanted to get into his SUV for a ride. The vehicle involved was a 2013 navy blue Land Rover Freelander SUV.
Investigators identified and arrested the suspect, 54-year-old Suresh Ratnani of Brampton. He has been charged with Criminal Harassment and Failing to Comply with an Undertaking.
He was held for a bail hearing and appeared before the Ontario Court of Justice on Saturday, February 26, 2022.
Investigators believe there may be additional victims that may not have yet contacted police and are encouraging them to contact investigators at 905-453-2121, extension 2233. It is important to note that the location of this particular incident may or may not be the only area this has occurred in.
Anyone with information on this incident, or anyone who may have witnessed or has video footage, is also asked to contact the 22 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau at 905-453-2121, extension 2233. Anonymous information may also be submitted by calling Peel Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), by visiting peelcrimestoppers.ca.
Learn how to recognize and manage potential high risk environments and behaviours and what you can do in those situations to greatly improve your safety and that of your friends and family:
- Always be aware of your surroundings
- Always stick to main routes and consider using a buddy system, especially in the evening
- Always be cautious and create distance if a stranger approaches and/or asks you for something
- Ensure youth know their parent/guardian contact information
- Ensure youth know how to contact and tell a trusted adult if they feel unsafe
- Know when and how to dial 9-1-1 on your electronic device when needed
- It is important to prepare yourself and youths in your household to be aware of various personal safety scenarios that may present themselves. Learn more at PeelPolice.ca .