Trudeau commits to historic investment in green infrastructure
TROIS-RIVIÈRES, QC – Liberals will invest in green infrastructure to grow our economy, create jobs, strengthen our cities and communities, and improve our health, well-being, and quality of life, announced the Leader of the Liberal Party of Canada, Justin Trudeau, today.
“Ensuring that our infrastructure is able to adapt to new challenges – like climate change and threats to our water and land – is essential to our future prosperity,” said Mr. Trudeau. “Stephen Harper has failed to deliver a sensible approach to the environment and the economy, and in 2015, pretending that we have to choose between the two is as harmful as it is wrong. Liberals have a plan to invest in clean jobs, grow the economy, and protect the environment – in communities like Trois-Rivières and right across the country.”
Liberals will make new, historic investments in green infrastructure. A Trudeau-led government will:
- incorporate climate impact analysis into federal government contracting;
- act in full partnership with the provinces and territories already working to develop a Canadian Energy Strategy;
- establish the Canada Infrastructure Bank to provide low-cost financing for infrastructure projects, and Green Bonds to support renewable energy projects;
- use new financing instruments to stimulate investment in retrofits and distributed energy systems; and
- deepen our commitment to working with other orders of government to protect Canada’s freshwater through education, geo-mapping, watershed protection, and infrastructure investments in the best wastewater treatment technologies.
“We live in a great country, and Canadians deserve better leadership. Liberals will invest in green infrastructure, like local water and wastewater facilities, climate resilient infrastructure, clean energy, and protecting against changing weather,” said Mr. Trudeau. “A Liberal government will ensure that we can tap into the economic opportunities of our environment and create the clean jobs of tomorrow in places like Trois-Rivières. We will undo the damage done by Harper and give to our children and grandchildren a country even more beautiful, sustainable, and prosperous than the one we have now.”