Y Media- The biggest South Asian Media House|Sunday, October 13, 2019
You are here: Home » World » Trump confirms death of al-Qaeda bomb-maker
  • Follow Us!

Trump confirms death of al-Qaeda bomb-maker 

US President Donald Trump has confirmed that Al Qaeda’s top bombmaker Ibrahim Hassan al-Asiri has been killed. In a White House Statement, the Prez said he claimed in a US counter-terrorism operation in Yemen, in 2017. Last year, US officials said they were confident al-Asiri was killed, but questions were raised over conclusive evidence.

Washington had long sought the Saudi-born militant who was known for his ability to create hard-to-detect bombs, including some implanted in suicide bombers. Al-Asiri is believed to be the mastermind behind the attempted Christmas Day bombing of a passenger jet flying from Amsterdam to Detroit, in 2009. Nigerian man Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab is currently serving multiple life sentences in prison for trying to set off the bomb in his underwear.

Al-Asiri also built an explosive device intended to be used against a passenger aircraft in 2012, and the device used in the attempted assassination of former Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef in Jeddah in 2009. Trump stated that his death significantly handicapped Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula.

His announcement also confirmed that the militant built the bomb used the failed attempt, and the printer cartridge bomb used in a plot disrupted in 2010 Al Qaeda parcel bomb plot against the United States. Born in 1982, in Saudi Arabia to a military family, al-Asiri is accused of recruiting his younger brother Abdullah as a suicide bomber for the failed attack on Prince Mohammed bin Navef.

 

Related posts:

X