Midweek Headlines – Dec 14
- Two men were taken to hospital in the Etobicoke area after they were shot near Martin Grove Rd and Finch area, police reported.
- Uber has said under its new service UberHop, flat rates of $5 will be charged on weekends during rush hour on four routes.
- Canada Revenue Agency is getting taxes back from aboriginal women who lost legal battles to be exempt from personal income tax.
- A Statistics Canada report shows that the amount of household debt against disposable income has risen to 163.7% compared with 162.7% in the second quarter.
- Singer Adele has announced to hold four shows in Toronto between October 3 to 7 at the Air Canada Centre.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has said renewed dialogue between India and Pakistan will open a new chapter of peace and development in the region.
- Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has said Congress has always remained inimical to the interests of Punjab and Punjabis, especially the Sikhs.
- No huts will be razed in Delhi before its occupants are rehabilitated, Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said on Monday after meeting Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu.
- A Siliguri-bound local train was derailed after it fatally hit an elephant between Gulma and Sevoke stations near the northern West Bengal town of Siliguri on Monday evening.
- Veteran music composer Bappi Lahiri and singer Kumar Sanu were presented lifetime achievement awards by the West Bengal government today.
- India’s World Cup-winning captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni along with the likes of Ravindra Jadeja and Ravichandran Ashwin will be hogging the limelight as the two new Indian Premier League (IPL) franchises from Pune and Rajkot meet on tomorrow to pick their five key players each from the 50-player draft.
- Salman Khan has said he will celebrate his 50th birthday on December 27 but: “Nothing special on my birthday. Will be working like every year.”
- Bangladeshi State Minister for Post and Telecommunications Tarana Halim confirmed the government’s decision to lift a ban on all social networking platforms.
- China’s fiscal revenue rose 11.4 per cent year-on-year in November, quickening from an 8.7 per cent rise seen in October, finance ministry said.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.