SOUTH ASIAN PULSE RADIO HEADLINES MARCH 20TH 2017
- In the Jassi Sidhu murder case, the mother and uncle will appear in front of a judge in Supreme Court. It was a case of honour killing as Jaswinder, 25 married Mithu Sidhu, a rickshaw driver whom she had met in India a few years earlier. Her family did not approve of the match. Jaswinder and her husband were attacked as they rode a scooter in a village near Sangrur, Punjab, in June 2000. Mithu was severely beaten and left for dead while Jassi was kidnapped and later killed. Her body was left in a canal. Investigations in India showed the murder was an honour killing planned by Jaswinder’s mother Malkit and her uncle Surjit while in Canada. Former justice minister Peter MacKay had ordered their surrender to face charges of murder and conspiracy to commit murder, conditional on assurances from India that they would not face death penalty, and that their health and safety would be protected in custody, and they would get consular access. Both were extradited to Canada after talks between the foreign offices of Canada and India on the issue.
- Jason Kenney has won the PC party leadership race in Alberta.
- Federal Conservative leadership race gets ugly as several South Asians have been accused of vote buying. Maxium Bernier camp has targeted the reality-TV star as a hypocrite but an investigation is underway. Six Sikh-Canadians swore an affidavit on Sunday alleging that the president of the Conservative Brampton East Riding Association offered to pay for their memberships.
- Is a university coming in Brampton or not? Channel Y has invited current Councillor Gurpreet Dhillon and former Councillor Vicky Dhillon for a discussion on the topic.
- The process of Brexit is starting from March 29.
- Under a world happiness report prepared by the UN shows that people are most happy in Norway that is at the top followed by Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Holland, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden. USA is on the 15th number. Countries where people are most unhappy include Yemen and Syria that are at the bottom, followed by Tanzania, Brunai, and Central African countries.
- Pakistani President Mamnoon has promulgated Hindu Marriage Bill into law and so Hindus can marry now under their own laws.
- Pakistan’s Sikh community disappointed at being ‘left out’ of a census that has taken place after 19 years. Radesh Sing Tony, chairman of the Sikh committee, complained that a sizeable number of Sikhs are living in Pakistan, but the community was not counted among the religions included in the census form. They were counted under the ‘other’ religion category in the form, which would not provide an accurate picture of the Sikh population. A spokesperson for the census exercise Habibullah Khan admitted that it was a mistake on the part of the census authorities. He said the census forms had been printed in 2007 and only five religions had been included on the recommendation of a 120-member technical committee. He said the Sikh population was marginal in 2007 but it has increased with the passage of time.
- New Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath has said the big mandate in UP given to BJP is for vikas (development) and sushashan (good governance).
- New chief minister Yogi Adityanath has attacked corruption and ordered all his ministers to submit to him details of their assets and wealth within 15 days.
- Former cricketer Mohsin Raza has been roped in as a UP Cabinet Minister though BJP fielded no Muslim candidate in elections on the state’s 403 seats. A Sikh Sandeep Singh also has been made a minister.
- New summons have been issued for Zakir Naik, 51 by the CBI. He has been asked to appear before the court on March 30. IT is thought he might be living in KSA. It was reported earlier boys inspired by his preaching were involved in Bangladesh café attack, an allegation Naik has denied.
- Punjab MLAs have said no to red beacons on cars to end the VIP culture. It has also been instructed that no ministers will go for ribbon cutting ceremonies.
- Punjab Congress targets Kejriwal and Phoolka saying cabinet decisions have got nothing to do with AAP and their party should stop talking childishly. Earlier Phoolka had said all these changes have come in Punjab because of AAP. Even Kejriwal had said AAP started the culture of saying no to red beacons on cars.
- Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh has a list of directions to district administration and police officers to end corruption and drug menace. He said within three-day a chargesheet against corrupt must be filed. He held meeting with DCs and SSPs and urged officers to go digital to speed up work. He ordered a clean work culture while dealing with the public, namely Sub Registrar, Tehsil, Sub-Division, Transport, Food and Supplies, Police Stations and Powercom. Officers should be present in their offices from 9am to 5pm on all working days, with tours to be announced on website and notice board. He also said replies should promptly be sent to the applicant on email, SMS or through post, within the RTS Act time limit. Police has been asked to be polite to public. He said he will monitor all these personally to see if procedures are implemented properly.
- Prakash Singh Badal has not accepted Capt Amarinder’s offer to stay at a government house.
- In the rape trial against Ram Rahim, Dera Sacha Sauda chief has filed another plea for examining.
- In Punjab the body of Ekam Singh Dhillon, 40 was found stuffed in a suitcase kept in a BMW car. SP City Parminder Singh Bhandal has arrested his wife Seerat who has admitted murdering him with the help of her brother and his friend. Seerat is the niece of Congress leader Ajit Inder Singh Mofar. Seerat was missing from the house when the body was found but their two kids – son and daughter, 5 were present. The crime was reported by an auto-rickshaw driver who was dropping a passenger when he saw two women carrying a bag that seemed to be heavy. A .9mm pistol licensed in Seerat’s name was used in the crime that hit Ekam in the head. According to police Seerat and her brother planned to throw the body in a canal and so it was kept in the BMW but Seerat misplaced the car key. Ekam’s father, Jaspal Singh Dhillon suspects that more than one person is involved in the crime because it was not easy to bring the body down from the first floor by two people. Police is investigating the matter further.
- The third Test between India and Australia has been drawn. In the first innings Australia made 451/10. In reply India made 603d/9. In the second innings Australia scored 204/6.
- Misbahul Haq has called for life-time ban on players involved in PSL spot-fixing scandal. Several players were removed from all forms of game by PCB recently including batsman Salman Butt and fast bowler Irfan.
- Kapil Sharma fought with Sunil Grover (Guthi) on Plane. As a result Sunil Grover may not return to the comedy show.
- Ranbir Kapoor meets Mahira Khan met at the Global Teachers awards in Dubai.
Copyright ©2012 South Asian Daily. All Rights Reserved.