30 people dead in clashes in Afghanistan’s Kunduz city
Kabul, Sep 30 (IANS) At least 30 people died and over 200 others were injured in attacks launched by Taliban militants on Kunduz city of Afghanistan, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) said on Wednesday.
Over 90 percent of those killed or injured were civilians, Khaama press quoted MoPH spokesman, Wahidullah Mayar as saying.
The top UN envoy in Afghanistan Nicholas Haysom called the reports as ‘particularly disturbing’. The UN Humanitarian Coordinator for Afghanistan Mark Bowden called on Taliban and Afghan security forces to prevent civilian casualties.
The Taliban militants seized control of Kunduz city on Monday evening after launching coordinated attacks on the city earlier that morning.
Taliban militants also launched an attack on Kunduz airport late Tuesday but the attack was repelled by launching airstrikes.
Taliban group’s shadow governor for Kunduz province Maulavi Salam was killed in the airstrike along with his deputy and a member of Lashkar-e-Taiba who was identified as Haris from Punjab province of Pakistan.
The Afghan intelligence National Directorate of Security (NDS) said the airstrike was carried out in the vicinity of the airport.